Phase 1 of the Southern Tier opening begins today. It really doesn't matter as we have been in Phase 1 for 76 days now. Walmart, the grocery stores, Lowes and so on have been open the whole time. The pizza places and other restaurants are now allowed delivery and curb side pick up.
![]() |
| my photo |
We did see though yesterday, Bennett's Nursery was allowed to open. I think though, the damage has already been done, financially. The mom and pop stores are not allowed to reopen until Phase 2 with strict instructions. Our area is 26% short for the tax revenue for the last 10 weeks. That goes to show you how much, we the people, depend on the mom and pop small businesses here. Can't recoup that.
The Memorial Day Parade and other activities have been canceled by our mayor and as of right now, no July 4th activities and fireworks as well. I stand corrected he did allow Phase 1 to begin. Although, again, in all fairness, we have been on Phase 1 this whole time. IF Walmart is allowed to sell cloths and shoes, then the mom and pops should be allowed to open up.
If hearing folks talk around town etc, neighbors, police etc. That is the mood. Folks are on edge and have had enough.



Just to show you how nuts this is, Good Will in a small town near us is forced to remain closed. The Good Will in a larger city near us got an exemption.... 4000 exemptions.. Good to have friends in high places here in PA.
ReplyDeleteYeah, the Goodwill/Salvation Army store is still closed here, as is the rest of the stores too. Yeah, money talks, right? sigh. I am really disliking the big box stores right now.
DeleteThe restaurants have always been allowed take-out and curbside for us. The only thing moving into phase 2 is changing today is that some of the smaller businesses can reopen and gatherings can now be up to 25, appropriately distanced, people.
ReplyDeleteYeah...I read that for you guys, here, The phases here will take anywhere 2 weeks to 8 weeks, depending on our dip republican mayor. I'm just done with it all. (no secret)
DeleteInteresting...just reading on a huge site where commenters were asked how things were going in their neck of the woods...many describe that people are on edge and have had enough. Since I have only been out twice since the second week of March, I am not one to judge, though I was interested to hear what my grandsons had to say. They are "on edge" as well. My frustration is leveled against those pushing this agenda of socialism.
ReplyDeleteI will be so thankful when everything and I do mean everything, can open on regular schedule and we can be out and about without any rules or laws regarding it. I have been out 3 x's since this all started and if it werent for my front porch, I would be looney tunes for sure.
ReplyDeleteA crazy, confusing time. Your clip from the Simpsons says it all!
ReplyDeleteExactly!!! I saw something on FB a little bit ago that proposed shuttering WM, Lowe's, etc. and letting the 'little guy' have everyone's business.
ReplyDeleteSick of it all and the evil government that imposes this fake crap on us. This is NOT how you treat an epidemic. Not at all.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry for the way things are being done in your state. It really doesn't make any sense. I do feel very badly for the mom and pop stores. You are correct, that is just not fair for them when the big stores are allowed to be open. You need a new government in your state...
ReplyDeleteThis is so sad. "To arms! To arms!", should be New Yorkers battle cry. Time will tell if We The People will do anything about it ... or not. We'll see.
ReplyDeletePraying for y'all.
Love
Definitely very trying times.
ReplyDeleteOur restaurants have been allowed to do carry-out and delivery the whole time. Gyms are opening on Monday, so we are moving along with getting things opened up.
ReplyDeleteWe are opening up a lot around here. I think we may be going to quickly. Our COVID-19 rate is up a lot from last week and the number of infections and deaths continue to climb. We were never on a complete lockdown like you guys, and we are faring much better out here. The whole thing is troubling to me. I can see both sides, but read my blog post today about my high school friend who got the virus. I think we much take this seriously. Stay well and congrats on your graduation!
ReplyDeleteI just heard of another business in our area that will not open again. So sad.
ReplyDeleteOur restaurants could always do take out, so at least we had that.
There was a 77 year old barber in Michigan who opened against the rules and his license was taken away... He was wearing a mask, being careful, but Gov Whitmer was making a point. Now there are a bunch of people going to the capitol next week and giving free haircuts on the lawn. People have had it.