Good Morning! The Conley family has been up since 4 am--it is (was) so hot in the house (at midnight it said 82* in the house). The last couple of days it has been very humid here in western NY. So, the guys have been busy putting in the window ac's. ANYWAYS, here we are, the Saturday 9.
Saturday 9: Battle Hymn of the Republic (1963)
Unfamiliar with Judy Garland's rendition of this week's tune? Hear it here.
9) If you could attend a Memorial Day picnic with any fictional character, which would you choose?
Unfamiliar with Judy Garland's rendition of this week's tune? Hear it here.
Memorial Day is the federal holiday designated to honor American service people who died in battle.
1) On May 30, 1868, President Grant presided over the Memorial Day observance at Arlington National Cemetery. Have you ever visited Arlington Cemetery?
Yes when I was child. It is a very humbling experience.
2) On Memorial Day, it is customary to fly the flag at half-staff until noon and then raise it to the top of the staff until sunset. Will you be flying the flag at your home this weekend?
The flag is always flying here.
3) Memorial Day was originally called Decoration Day, because flowers and ribbons were left on graves of soldiers. Do you find solace in visiting cemeteries?
No. I am actually creeped out. But we do upkeep the Conley plot. The cemetery director and I go around and around about this. We have found knocked over gravestones and the upkeep isn't very good.
4) The lyrics to this week's song were written by Julia Ward Howe in 1861. Her inspiration was a White House visit with Abraham Lincoln. In 2020, under normal circumstances, public tours of the White House are available but you must request your ticket in advance from your Member of Congress (House or Senate). When you travel, do you plan your trip weeks before you go? Or do you decide how your days will unfold once you reach your destination?
A little of both. Hotels or rental is made before hand, the rest, we play by ear.
5) Judy Garland performed this week's song before a live audience as a tribute to President Kennedy, who had been assassinated just weeks before. She knew Kennedy personally and considered this a farewell to a friend. While the performance was difficult for her -- at one point she flubs the lyrics -- she believed it was important, and could perhaps help the country heal. Tell us about a song that reminds you of someone you loved who is no longer with us.
I can't think of anything. But let me say, any Patriotic song really affects me. I can't get through the Star Spangled Banner without balling. My husband wants TAPS and Amazing Grace. I still can't get through those either.
6) John F. Kennedy served in WWII and was awarded a Navy and Marine Corps medal and a Purple Heart. His brother Joe also served and was awarded the Navy Cross, but he received his citation posthumously, having died during a flying mission over East Suffolk, England. Here at Saturday 9, we consider everyone who serves a hero and want to hear about the veterans and active military members in your life.
My husband was a military police in the Marines, my dad was a door gunner in the Army, my late fil was in the Air Force, my one bil was in the Army for 22 years, my other bil was in the National Guard, my one brother was in the Air Force.
7) Memorial Day is considered the beginning of the summer season. Will you be enjoying warm weather this weekend?
Yes and muggy too (its currently raining, but suppose to be near 90* by Monday)
8) Berries are especially popular in summer. Which is your favorite: strawberries, blueberries, blackberries or raspberries?
All the above. I love berries
9) If you could attend a Memorial Day picnic with any fictional character, which would you choose?
Fictional? No. if I could, I would invite every single military member (former and present) to grand a picnic.


I am with you on those songs. Amazing Grace at most funerals really gets me and when they played TAPS at my dad's funeral...just rip my heart out, why don't you?!
ReplyDeleteMaybe you'll get some relief. Our weather forecast has changed to upper 70's today and tomorrow with showers today and thunderstorms tomorrow. Monday it's gonna get icky. I'm hoping for a break somewhere, I still need to finish planting my veggies.
Have a blessed day, Linda!
Your military picnic sounds grand. We'll show up with Deviled Eggs (my husband's fav).
ReplyDeleteThanks to your husband for his service, as well as the other members of your family.
As for a song that brings tears to my eyes, it's a hymn, "When We All Get to Heaven." I have good memories of singing that in church beside my daddy. I will see him there!
100 percent humidity here.. and sticky... feast or famine.. We will have the whole picnic thing delivered here on Monday... food is what its all about in the "prison." All I have to do is microwave it up... sounds yummy.
ReplyDeleteLots of good memories and when the summer kicked off... (not the holiday itself)...but school was on the way out..
Why would anyone want a Memorial Day picnic with a fictional character? LOL! I like your answer.
ReplyDeleteSo you are creeped out by cemeteries? That's too bad because they are such good places for walking...few others there (of the vertical sort) and it's calm and peaceful there without the traffic. I'll never convince you, will I?
Time for the ACs! It's warm here, yet not humid. Nice. I am hoping that I won't have to get out my AC units this year.
Happy Memorial Day weekend! It's good to know that the flag is always flying there 🇺🇸
I'm glad you've got air conditioning. Once it's in the high 70's, I'm ready for cooler air. *lol*
ReplyDeleteSuddenly, it's in the 90's here. Ugh. I don't like heat. Thankfully, it is humid which means rain. We always need that. So, at least the grass and trees are greening and it all looks lovely.
Hope y'all have a nice day and can rest.
Love
YIKES on your temps! I remember my mother bemoaning the Minneapolis heat while she was in nursing school -- they'd sit and smoke in the cool porcelain bathtub or drag mattresses out to the fire escapes to try and sleep. I love both TAPS and Amazing Grace, but ya. Both rip my heart out.
ReplyDeleteIt is starting to get hot here, but the rain is keeping it cooler than your temps.
ReplyDeleteThank-you to your family for their service in our military! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.
http://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/
Yep, those same songs make me tear up too, Linda. Wishing you and yours a good weekend!!
ReplyDeleteI love patriotic songs. We use to sing them at school. My parent's played then at home and as kids we would march around the house. I think they should play them in schools and teach the kids the meaning. I have a hymnal that has the songs. It is hot in your area. We will be warm too, but no humidity.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you. Those patriotic songs get me too!
ReplyDeleteOur flag is always flying too.
I like to wander around cemeteries! So much history.
Hope you got the AC sorted and are feeling cooler.
ReplyDelete