Wow! The responses, emails and IM's in regards to yesterdays post was amazing ((grin)).
I guess to answer the question "What is Salt Raising Bread" is the question that was most asked. Salt rising bread is made from wheat flour; a starter consisting of water or milk, corn, potatoes, or wheat and other minor ingredients such as salt and sugar. However, the bread is not leavened by salt nor does it taste salty. The name of the bread is that the starter was kept warm in a bed of heated salt and the salt inhibits yeast growth and provides an environment more conducive for microbes to grow. This kind of bread can be compared to the Sourdough breads. This bread is a dense white bread perhaps getting its start from Appalachia. However, it is mainly a Kentucky and New York thing. I never heard of this bread prior to moving to New York.
I first discovered Mrs. Meyers while we lived in Alabama. Sometimes the products would be on the shelves and sometime not. We didn't have internet or even cable TV (gasp! I know, right! We lived on a farm 28 miles from civilization). Mrs. Meyers is made from plant ingredients and essential oils and they do not test on animals. Just wholesome goodness and hey, why not have your cleaning products and hand soaps smell good? I usually get the lemon scented cleaning products and lavender hand soap. Unfort. with the Wuhan Virus, products are slim pickings. Like I said yesterday, the guys are not happy about the rose scented. BTW, it does smell good. For these 4 bottles I only paid like $25-$30 which included shipping and taxes. Compared to the store prices (again, slim pickings) it was cheaper to order directly from Mrs. Meyers.
So, while talking with fellow blogger Vee yesterday, I came upon the subject of Salt Potatoes. Notice, I prefer the E to be added to Potato {{grin}}. These are tiny little potatoes that you cook in ALOT of salt water. Gosh, they are wholesome goodness that melt in your mouth. Its a New York thing, again. They are from Syracuse. Again, never heard of them prior to moving here. But you know, I am like that. I embrace everything about where ever we live. In Alabama it was collard greens and fried okra {{yum!!}} and in Florida it was gator. Hey, don't judge me. lol {{big grin}}
I pleadeth the 5th. LOLOL. No co workers, but I sure would like to meet a certain governor in a dark alley. We were suppose to go to Phase 2 today. Nope, at 6pm last night he put a statement via radio. NOT NOTIFYING THE LOCAL FOLKS. Mind you, we have met the 7/7 criteria. NONSENSE.




All sounds wonderful. Got the ole taste buds flowing!!
ReplyDeleteIt is. smiles.
DeleteIs the bread one of those that you have a starter and keep adding to it for so many days then take some out, pass it on, toss it, whatever and keep going? So many of those are very good, but a royal pain in the neck to keep up with. Mom had a coffee cake recipe called "Herman" back in the 70's or 80's. It was delicious, but after a while there wasn't anyone left to give it to. The potatoes sound pretty good, too. Just boil them in super salty water?
ReplyDeleteSucks about Cuomo's reversal. Couldn't even step up and announce it like a man.
Enjoy your day and weekend! (Hey, at least it's a little cooler.)
Yep, just boil in super salty water. Yummy good, smiles.
DeleteHello Linda,
ReplyDeleteI love Mrs Meyer products too! My boys not so much, lol!
Ugh! Same here near Albany, the Mohawk and Hudson Valley. We were excited we seemed to be making strides forward. Interesting how the governor waited until evening to make this announcement. My husband and son just left to get the rest of sons dorm stuff at SUNY Utica, finally got an appointment since Spring Break was March 16! He has had online classes since then and finished the semester May 7 with 4.0!! Computer and Interactive Media major with a minor in game design.
I commented in another post but just wanted to say Congratulations again on your graduation! 🎉☺
Have a wonderful day.
Thank you and the same to you for your son. Do you have a blog? Just wondering. I finished overall/Cumm. with a 3.5 GPA. Not going to complain. Now, the hard part begins; finding a job...what are your sons plans? smiles
DeleteIt was all very interesting to learn of these new delights. I like Mrs. Meyer. I use it often. Mine is lemon. Gator? Does it taste like chicken?
ReplyDeleteYep, it does taste like chicken. Its pretty good. smiles
DeleteI like the sound if the salt potatoes. Yummy!
ReplyDeleteYou gotta try them...yummy goodness, smiles.
DeleteThanks so much for the explanation! Props for your nod to all local cuisines. I LOVE fried okra -- and collards! Was going to try and make them in the instantPot but that sounded too labor intensive. (LOL) We just enjoy them out of the can. Still haven't tasted buttermilk pie; the name just makes me nervous.
ReplyDeleteYou haven't had Buttermilk? Its like a custard with a pie shell, it is yummy good, really, Myra it is.
DeleteOh yes, Ms Vee - Gator does taste like chicken! I've only had it once, but so good!
ReplyDeleteSalt potatoes, eh? Sounds good also!
Linda, move back down here in the south where we love collard greens, turnip greens, black eye peas, yes, and fried okra! Yum! And, fried green tomatoes?
Okay then, are you coming here? I would love that. :)
xoxo
Egags, my husband said and I quote,"Move back to FL? That is like moving backwards." You know, my folks still live in Ocala as does one my brother and the other brother lives in Orlando. Neither of us can see moving back, sadly. I just don't want to deal with anymore tornadoes or hurricanes. Honestly, I don't know where we will end up. IF we were to move back, it would be near Vero Beach where we lived for a year when we first got married.
DeleteI LOVEEEEEEEEEEEE FRIED GREEN TOMATOES!!! YUMMY!!!!
There are no criteria for constitutional rights. Nothing should have been shut down in the first place! I've had salt potatoes, but no more now that I have to limit sodium. Yup, its Potatoes with an E for sure! Get the guys Doctor Squatch soap. They will love it and its good for them too. It really is healthier to use.
ReplyDeleteOh they tease about the Mrs. Meyers, but don't let them fool you, they like it.
DeleteThe bread and the potatoes sound good and yes, I love Mrs. Meyers' products. It's good to embrace the goodies from where you are living!
ReplyDeleteThey are very good, Mildred. smiles
DeleteNow I am hungry. It is Friday afternoon, and it is raining. I guess I have to cook supper tonight. LOL. I think we are having bratwurst with green peppers and onions. We've learned to eat all kinds of things after moving all over the eastern/midwestern parts of the country. Even gator, but I'm not fond of it. Too chewy for me. I am so sorry about your state's leader's ineptitude. Praying for you all. Have a blessed weekend anyway!!
ReplyDeleteMy son loves bratwurst (me, ummm no, lol.) I made a pizza...and its raining now. smiles
DeleteSalt potatoes sounds good! No border patrols at the state lines, Linda... come on down!!
ReplyDeleteNo? Are they not mandating 2 week quarantines? TN is. So are other states.
DeleteI've heard about salt potatoes and I keep meaning to try them. Now you've reminded me again.
ReplyDeleteWe're still locked down but watch my blog next week to hear about an escape we made. :)
WOOHOO!!!! CAN'T WAIT! Ok, maybe I ought not be happy about civil disobedience LOL. But I am. LOL
DeleteSalt potatoes are wonderful. We don't make them, but I've eaten them from time to time. Yes, having all that salt in the water the potatoes are cooked in really does make a big difference. Salt bread now, I am not sure I've had, but your description fascinates me.
ReplyDelete