Yesterday was a nice day. Low key.
First let me talk about Saturday, my young friend (who I had mentored while at the college/Univ.) and her mom stopped by and we forgot about the 6 ft. rule and promptly hugged each other. She knew I had a hard time Friday. She also bought a package of Hershey's, to which we all know chocolate cures all my ills, just saying. There is nothing like getting hugged, just saying...not one of us really ever gave the "rule" a thought-I think its safe to say, we all have had enough of the draconian rules by King Cuomo. Mindy's mom is in the health care field, she def. has her own thoughts about all this. Let's just say, yes, the virus is real, but no way should the state / federal government shut down.
Yesterday, was a good day. My son made a beautiful Pineapple Upside Down cake with cherries and pineapples. Gosh, it was so good (as you can tell). He also gave me a card and $20, to which I promptly gave it back, I know what its like to be broke and I also knew that was his very last $20. Hence why I gave it back. I also baked a spiral ham (sorry not photos, forgot).
My husband and I have this ongoing joke for 38 years now. He/we can't afford to buy anything from Tiffany and Company (who can). One year, the antique store had an empty Tiffany ring box, I got that, smiles. This year, he got me a Tiffany "inspired" jewelry box. So very thoughtful and sweet.
Speaking of smiles. I briefly spoke to my own mother yesterday, actually the conversation was short and it went like this;
Ringgggg
Mom picks up the phone: Your governor at some point has to open the state, Linda!
Me: Oh, well hello and Happy Mother's Day to you.
Mom: Same to you, did you hear what I said?
Me: Umm...yes...
Mom: He is a blathering idot. Extending the shutdown until June whatever! I am sure he will extend it even more. I have to go, your brother and his wife are here and we are going to go eat. Have a happy Mother's Day. ((click)).
So...quite interesting phone call. She is a retired banker and has said from the beginning "the numbers don't add up." Indeed. That's my mother for you, short and to the point and everything has always been about my younger brothers, for 53 years I have lived in their shadows and that's ok.
And that is the truth; I am wonderfully made and loved by God.





Sounds like you had a nice Mother's Day. Min consisted of visiting my grandsons through their screened door off of the deck and having frozen pizza and salad for dinner! Not very exciting but I'm used to it! At least I got to see the boys! Your conversation with your mother was interesting..... Have a great day!
ReplyDeleteOh, the conversation with my mom, its ok Jeanette. I am happy to know nothing changes and that's ok. I have since long accepted it. They (my parents) don't call etc. I do all the contacting. That is the way our relationship works.
DeleteI am glad you saw your grandkids. Wishing you a belated Happy Mother's Day.
Looks yummy... back in the day the Food Network as well as some others has a 5 ingredient slow cooker crock pot pineapple upside down cake.,.. so easy and It was my standard "what I will bring" to the dinner party... sure love my crock pot.
ReplyDeleteNew York will be finished if they don't get it opened up.. Memorial day would be it for my old homestead area.....Seasonal businesses by most of the locals.
wellllllllllllllll I think Madame Pelosi is putting in his ear that he will be getting federal money...he is an idot, just saying. Same here...this area is already dying.
DeleteMy mother used to make pineapple upside cake, oh yum. Your son gave you his only twenty, that brought tears to my eyes, how sweet!!!! One of my sons made birthday cards for two of his sisters and put money in them...it's just nice to have soft-hearted boys, isn't it? Your mom is hilarious, but not so very nice to cut you off like that. I guess you would get sort of used to it, but still. She's right about the gov. though, I am sickened by him and his new statutes...acting like putting Covid positive old people in the nursing homes wasn't his idea in the first place...ugh. No apologies, no nothing. And people are SO blinded! They think he's handling this whole thing just beautifully. ugh. I'm glad you had a good Mother's Day. We broke quarantine rules and had my son and daughter-in-law and their two little girls over, along with my daughter Margaret, her husband, and little boy (we've been seeing them right along, we just started back up with my son..) So with my husband and I and the 6 kids who live here, we had 15 here, which was technically breaking the law...we have five cars here on a regular day, they drove in different cars and added three...I was rather paranoid someone would call the cops because it looked like we were having a party...what times we live in! And it was only half the family! I'm glad your friend visited and brought you chocolate...:)
ReplyDeleteSounds as if you and your mom are in agreement. Interesting about numbers not adding up. Not much adds up. But we know why.
ReplyDeleteGlad that you had a good, low-key Mother's Day. You are loved. 💕
I don't get the folks who can't see that things are...weird. Math is not my friend, but I have been saying since the beginning of March that things just don't add up to what they are telling us. I started talking about the nursing home numbers and now everyone is. The facts are there if you'll just look at them.
ReplyDeleteGlad you had a nice visit with your friend and got spoiled by your husband and son! I even heard from my son, so it was a big day...he doesn't usually recognize my birthday or Mother's Day. He will call his dad at least. There are never gifts and the grands never talk to me. The girl child and her kids make up for it.
You've been having a difficult time, Linda. I'm so sorry! Forgive me for not visiting and keeping up on everyone; what they're (you) going through. I have my doubts about all this stuff being as bad as they say. I'm more inclined to believe it has SO much to do with politics. Dare we hope for an end to the madness. God will prevail, He's our hope.
ReplyDeletexoxo
So glad you had a great Mother's day dear Linda. And I must say...I do love that blue box! Hugs to you dear lady.
ReplyDeleteHugs and blessings, Cindy
OHHHHH....I have a little brother like that. My mother was so crazy about him it's all she talked about. When she was in the nursing home the staff called him the Golden Boy. bahaha, really made my day!!
ReplyDeleteHi Linda. I didn't call my birth mom yesterday. I sent her a card and a gift, but don't want to have a conversation with her, so I didn't. I do get difficult relationships. I am glad your husband and son made yesterday special for you. Have a good week!
ReplyDeleteYour family ... *shaking my head* ... they just don't know what a fine daughter they have. For shame. I'm so thankful, as you are as well I know, that our Holy Father loves us no matter what. He never hangs up on us or treats us poorly. Thank you Jesus!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you had a nice Mother's Day. Liam is a good person. So is your husband.
Praying that the lockdown is over soon for y'all and the job market opens up. Time to move on, right!?
Love & Prayers
Oh my word on that call with your mom! If she could just step outside her head and hear herself. So happy you've created a home with those who appreciate and love you the way in which you deserve. Oh, and for friends who bring chocolate. Woot!
ReplyDeletePS - Love the Tiffany ring box. 15 years I worked for a very spoiled and selfish woman who wouldn't wear a piece of jewelry if it didn't come in a little blue box.
That cake looks and sounds delicious!
ReplyDeleteAnd I am glad you spent the day with your people. : )
HUgs!
Your are also loved by your blogging friends!! I'm glad your boys treated you well on Mother's Day!! Joe and I actually ate in a restaurant today!! Don't discount Florida, Linda. Pros and Cons... :)
ReplyDeleteGlad you had a nice Mothers Day. You mom is right, but it would have been nice if she had talked to you a while...
ReplyDeleteYes, you are loved - by us too!
Pineapple upside down cake...yum. Your Mom...well...she is right about some of those numbers, though that's not a classic Mother's Day phone call.I saw my son for the first time in two months. My husband made me brownies (from a Ghiradelli mix, yum) before my son arrived. He brought two 1 lb containers of strawberries. So, dipped in chocolate, several of the big ones in the container became an even better dessert. He also (coincidence?) got me a can of pineapple and a yellow cake mix....
ReplyDelete