Welcome to Tuesday 4 begun by Toni Taddeo and kept in memory of her.
This week's subject is the Good Old Days.
This week's subject is the Good Old Days.
1. Do you know who supplied the voice of Lamb Chop, Hush Puppy and Charlie Horse? It was Shari Lewis according to Reminisce.com.
It was a very popular kids show in the 50's and 60's.
It was a very popular kids show in the 50's and 60's.
What childhood program meant a lot to you or taught you things you feel were important to you.
Hmm...that's hard to come up with one. I remember watching Bozo the Clown. But childhood programs; probably Leave it to Beaver, Bewitched, Green Acres, My Three Sons, Bonanza, Ozzie and Harriet, I Love Lucy. I very much prefer black and white over color. Especially old movies and tv shows.
2. Is there a memory from your past that makes you feel at home, warm and nostalgic? Maybe you would share it with us. Perhaps there is a story your parents told you that brings back good memories.
We were just discussing this. On Monday's The Five tv show on Fox there was a question about "What would you give up? Music or Books?" I would give up music. I would never ever give up books. I can remember one summer like when I was 8 or so, before my parents left to go back to Florida, my mom took me to a bookstore in Ludington and told me to pick out any book I wanted. I can remember vividly it was a mystery book store. My love of books began then. Or should I say Agatha Christie. I went back to the fish camp with a boxed set. Like I told my husband, there is nothing like holding a book.
3.Dirty Dancing was a big hit movie of the 80's. Mullet hair dos for guys and huge puffy hair for girls was a hallmark of those days.
Did you dance at school dances, Proms, etc? What kind of dancing did you enjoy?
Yes and I really don't like to dance. I would love to learn though. I really loved square dancing and was quite good at it.
4. Do you think we have passed by the good old days or do you think we will be able to look back and see these as the good old days in the future? Will your kids or grand kids think they were?
Sigh...I don't know...I really wish I had an answer for this. My son will never know the magical times spent with grandparents or at the fish camp up at Hamlin Lake/Ludington, MI. Oh, sure, we have traveled, but nothing like what I experienced and that makes me sad. I simply don't know the answer to this...truly I don't. That is a little unsettling to say the least. My husband I have done the best we could with making memories. I can though, squarely say that my son has a deep love for the USA and has a deep Patriotic and God fearing being to him. For that, I love to see.
Thanks for joining in!

Giving up music would not be difficult for me. I could NEVER give up books, though. And not them virtual things that the Government can censor or ban at a moment's notice, but the real ones with binding. There's something comforting about holding that paper in one's hands and reading. The writer can transport me to different places and eras. No, I could not give that up.
ReplyDeleteI think the most influential show I watched as a youngin' was The Andy Griffith Show. Too bad life isn't really like that anymore.
Love
Linda, I think there have been such difficult economic times in my lifetime that our, speaking for myself here, standard of living was beneath that of both my parents and my grandparents. Therefore, we were not able to travel as much as we would have liked. Still, I hope that the kids have happy memories. Whatever is coming down the road, we know that The Lord is in charge.
ReplyDeleteHappy Tuesday!
Hi Linda. We tried to make memories for our kids too, but who knows what they will remember. Life is 50% good and 50% bad and people usually focus more ont he bad than the good, unfortunately. You son sounds like such a fine young man. As I have said before, I think that your son and my youngest would be friends if they lived closer and got to know each other. Instilling patriotism in our children is important. We tried to do that too. I'm with you. I love music, but I am pretty sure I would choose books. Hope you have a good day. See you again soon!
ReplyDeleteThere are difficult things all the time and while life is more complicated than it used to be, I really think each generation views it's own younger years as the good old days. Our parents or grandparents looked at the world in the 60's and thought it was going to heck in a handbasket and we see those days as a great childhood.
ReplyDeleteMost of the childhood shows you cite were my favorites, too! I can't recall the last time I watched anything in black/white. Old classics sound like a welcome respite from Celebrity Family Feud featuring the Kardashians. LOL!!!
ReplyDeleteI have so often thought ,oh ,how I wish I could take my daughter to my grandma's house one time.... to sleep in an unheated home under heaps of homemade quilts. potty in a potty... or dare to trek outside after dark, eat grannie's fabulous food most of which was cooked on a wood stove... that is the stuff of dreams! I would trade my memories for anything!
ReplyDeleteI meant to say I wouldn’t trade my memories!, I also wanted to tell you, at almost 70 I still enjoy things from way back when. I get up every morning at 8 to watch Leave it to Beaver on Me Tv. He her! Have a great evening!
DeleteI’m not sure I could pick between books and music Music because I love to play piano and I love to sing. Books because I love reading a good book. Mama taught us that love. She always took us to the library when we were kids because she loved reading too. That would be an awful decision to make.
ReplyDeleteOh my!! #2 is such a hard question. I love to listen to music and get transported to a different time. It can literally change my mood. Then I love books too. That is hard. They are both so important. YIKES! Loved your answers! Have a great Tuesday!
ReplyDeletehttp://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/
I'm with you on giving up music. Some weeks (not just days) I don't even listen to music. Not that I don't appreciate it and enjoy it, I just don't seek it out. I enjoyed your answers and wish you a blessed week!
ReplyDeleteLoved your answers. Oh I have some sweet memories with my grandparents that still a certain smell, sight or sound will trigger those precious memories. DANCING! Oh girl..yes I danced and probably every single time. Always loved it. I wish I had the energy now! My mind wants too but my body can't hold out! Ha! Hugs and blessings, Cindy
ReplyDeleteI love to read books also. Real books! Reading at night is so relaxing to me! I wish our library would hurry up and open! I loved square dancing when I was in school too! I really would like to learn country line dancing!
ReplyDeleteThis was fun. Oh, especially when I was young I loved to read. I also liked all the same shows as you. I have never been able to dance! I do have a childhood friend who is set to begin ball room dance lessons!
ReplyDeleteYes, I like real books too. We had to learn square dancing and social dancing in the 5th and 6th grades in PE. It was okay except the boys hated it.
ReplyDeleteWe didn't have a tv until I was in 5th grade. I was jealous of my friends who talked about Bozo and Beaver. However, my mom took us to the library with a big box that we would fill up and we all read a lot. So that helps with the other question. I love music and would have a hard time giving it up, but giving up books would be impossible!
ReplyDelete