Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Talk the Talk, Can You Walk the Walk?

While reading fellow blogger Deanna's Thoughts on Aging, the post really struck me, hard. There just wasn't one thing in particular, but the whole post just hit me really hard. Bare with me--I am probably saying/posting this backwards.


I am pretty sure, I am not the only one who has thoughts of these passing years. I can not believe 52 (almost 53) years have gone by. I am not that person I was 31 years ago, not that person  I was 20 years, not that person I was 10 years ago and so on. The good Lord has been working on me for the last 22 years, after I turned my life over to Him. 


Learning to love oneself has been the most challenging things to do.


Yesterday was my appointment at a new place. I was really hesitant and quite fearful. I almost cancelled my appointment...needless to say, I didn't.  Isn't this window just plum lovely? The inside is just a lovely; with French inspired theme throughout. Here, in little Hornell, a beauty salon with 35 years of experience with a French inspired theme. The women are warm and inviting and made me feel like I was a special person. After a discussion on my hair (lost my hair to cancer and never quite grew back thick)  and who had been cutting my hair, it was proclaimed no more cutting it this and that way. I almost burst in tears...it has been very difficult to deal with this and thought of aging. Then, Pat said the most wonderful thing, "You're alive, Linda! We are going to get you through this." Then she quoted James 4:14, just like Deanna did. It was like kismet. I don't normally show my photo, probably because of those years of having low self esteem, thanks to many reasons such as having parents who say the most awful things (which prompted the FB  post yesterday). I need to quit blaming everyone else and start walking the walk (instead of talking).

dont look at the messy desk.

I have no idea how to take selfies. Needless to say, I like the new 'do' and even  made an appointment for next month. When I walked in the door yesterday afternoon my husband said, "Wow, what a difference. That looks so much better! What did she do? She made it look so soft and full." Like Pat said, "Linda, let me keep working and we will make your hair healthy again and maybe your spirit too." So, thank you so and so at the old place for not returning my calls and instant messages. You did this old girl a favor. No, correct that, the good Lord did.


I don't know...perhaps it is time to say goodbye to the Old low self esteem and start getting on with the next 52 years, wink.

18 comments:

  1. You’re making me nervous. We have some of the same issues regarding hair. ☺️ Your new hairdresser sounds as if she has a handle on what to do for your hair. Excellent! Yes, new things are not necessarily bad things. Let The Lord have His way in your life every day 🎵

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, dont get nervous...just keeping it real,Vee...and you should know that about me--there is nothing fake about me--I gotta keep it real, no matter how much it hurts (smiles).

      Delete
  2. Oh, Linda, I just want to reach out and hug you.

    If you look at the photos of me at my younger daughter's bat mitzvah in 2005, you may or may not realize that I was wearing a wig. I had just finished chemo and my hair had not grown back.

    When the oncologist told me I needed to start chemo, I cried, "But my daughter's bat mitzvah is coming up..."

    And he responded, "I want you to be here for her wedding."

    Really put things into perspective, didn't it?

    Our lives are what's important, not our hair.


    and yet ....

    I was fortunate. Aside from the fact that I went gray, my hair came back healthy and full. I wear it long as a badge of honor, a sign that I fought cancer and emerged victorious.

    And I am so glad that you have found someone who can do your hair right, who can make you feel happier and more confident.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to write this in the email...thank you...you made me cry with such kind words and I sincerely mean it...thank you.

      Delete
  3. Well my beautiful friend....I hope you can feel my hug right about now! You are beautiful and aren't we all just a work in progress. A progress to continue the walk as well as the talk. Keep your eyes on the Lord cause that old sly devil wants to tear us down inch by inch. I made some little card for my ladies Bible study class tonight and they say what we all need to remember... Romans 8:38-39 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[a] neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

    Now sister girl...that's a BIG AMEN! Love you lady.
    Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cindy...y'all just making me cry...smiles

      Delete
  4. That hair salon sounds fantastic! Glad you found it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Linda, but you are SO BEAUTIFUL inside and out! As one who also had backsides for parents, I get the low self-esteem problem. BIG ((HUGS)) to you my smart, hardworking, sweet pretty friend! Don't let the devil win with the barbs and bad thoughts. God loves you As Is. That should be good enough for all of us. (I have to remind myself of that too.)
    BTW, when I gave up sugar and carb's, my hair grew back in thicker and it stopped falling out in clumps. Sugar is poison to our bodies. I realize that now.
    Sending prayers & love. Still really proud of you. ~:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Finding someone who can cut short hair takes a lot of endurance and many tries to find someone who can do it.....since I came North have not found someone but hope springs eternal... Not the same issue as yours but know the feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you found that salon. Really seems God was working that out for you. I think you have a ton of people in your corner ready to do battle for you anytime you want:). Love you

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so happy for you, Linda! Your new hair guru sounds heaven-sent -- talented both in styling and lifting others' spirits. Nearing 70 y/o, I still struggle with self-esteem, but time spent in The Wonderful World of Blog has done wonders; I've a hunch it will for you, as well. {{HUGS}}

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! I'm so happy for you, because hair is a big deal. God had a plan and He sent you there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love, love, LOVE this, my friend! This was God appointed because he knew just what his lovely daughter needed. And you are lovely...inside and out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post put a big smile on my face, Linda! I am so happy you found a new salon and that you are finding your beautiful, smart, sweet self!! I agree with what everyone above said!! You are an amazing creation of God!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Linda I love this post! Finding this new salon and kind women who will help you is truly a tender mercy from God! I have been reading your blog a long time and seeing you face (even part of it) was so awesome! You are a truly beautiful and special person and it is so great to finally see a bit more of you. You have beautiful eyes, BTW. Have a wonderful day and see you again tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am sorry I missed this yesterday. Wow, what a story! How wonderful that God led you to such a caring and intuitive hairdresser. God certainly used her "ministry" of hair styling to minister to you...and to us as we read your story. SEnding (((hugs))) and love to you today. You are such a beautiful person, Linda...don't ever doubt that for one second. God is shining through you to us now! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so happy that you stopped by my blog one day and I returned the visit. You are truly not alone. I can't speak to the cancer part but I can speak a lot to low self confidence. When it all comes down to it, it's all about our relationships with others. I love how you opened yourself to your readers today, and the love that came your way. With all the cruelty in our world today, there are also people like your new hairdresser. That parlor was heaven-sent. No doubt.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting, wishing you a lovely day.

Followers

Labels

Link Party (694) Randomness (578)