Good morning, friends. 😁
It's early Friday morning as I type this. I keep thinking the window is open as I can hear the highway traffic, which is a couple of blocks away, but nope, the window is closed. But I guess that is what happens when it's cold (presently 41*) and very foggy out. It will be back up today to 70*.
So, I thought I would share a post another blogger wrote, and it really got me thinking. Why do I work? Well, to be fair, Debbie recently quit her job, and I am so happy for her, truly I am...and dare do I say, a bit jealous. What? I am allowed to be, aren't I?😉--- I have been home the last couple of days and been enjoying it, immensely. Here we go...
So, my husband the other day said something that really just got my "goat". "If it wasn't for your working, we wouldn't be here." And he went on further explaining what he meant. So, why do I work? I suppose it is to have those material things, house, utilities, food, insurance etc. I suppose I like having a house to live in and all the creature comforts such as food. Isn't sad that one "has to work" now? We used to be able to make it on his Social Security check and retirement, not anymore. The rising costs is just something else right now. Hubby is talking once again of cutting the cable bill. Yeah, sorry dude, no can do, was my reply. The rising cost of insurance (both house and health care) is astronomical as well, the rising cost of food (will be eating cardboard before too long, not really, but you get what I am saying) and so on. So, that is why I work-to keep a roof over our heads, and the extra stuff. I do long for those easier days, truly I do. Unfortunately, those days no longer exist. And that is where I am... I am not one of those women who seemingly have it all, nope, not by a long shot. Because, we all know, something has to eventually give, right? Or something gets left behind etc. Yep. The weight of the world seems to be on my shoulders, lately.
I forgot yesterday to welcome January. A bitter cold start here in Central Florida. Not that I am complaining, but I/we did leave all that behind when we moved from upstate NY to back here. Oh, and yes, we got taxed from NY nearly $1,000 for moving out of NY. Yeah, one last socialist move from the state of NY. Good luck NYC with your new mayor who swore on the Quran. I wish the state of NY well, beautiful state, but not the politics. Fleece the people, sure that works. Sorry, didn't mean to go there. I was just reminded by something I just read about a couple who have two homes; one here and one in NY and the state of NY wants to tax them like over $60,000. Yikes. Hey, listen, it doesn't matter if your wealthy or poor, but it's your money, not the governments, just saying. Crazy, but you didn't ask me, so I will refrain from further comment(s).🤣
Speaking of the creature comforts though, we did not do the usual southern meal on New Years Day. Although it was quite chilly, hubby wanted to grill out and he did; Ribs, a chicken breast for me and baked potatoes. It was good and then I made a homemade apple pie. Oh, aren't we rebels, broke with tradition.😁---and I did not take one photo.
So, just keeping it real on this 2nd of January. Wishing you all a beautiful day.

I'm really wondering what's going to happen in New York. I think home values will go down as people like the couple you mentioned will be selling their homes. Who can afford to pay that kind of taxes?
ReplyDeleteYour meal on the 1st sounded delicious, Linda. We didn't have a traditional meal either -- fried catfish, mashed potatoes and steamed spinach. I'm ready to cut the satellite (we don't have cable; it doesn't come out this far), it's the husband that says no. Have a relaxing Saturday!
ReplyDeleteOops! That should have been "have a relaxing Friday".
ReplyDeleteI'm thankful every day we live in an area that's cheaper, at least for now. Happy New Years my friends. Love ya. ✨❤️
ReplyDeleteHello, my friend. Your meal sounds delicious. And apple pie? Yummm! Hang in there. You are awesome.
ReplyDeleteI for one like when bloggers keep it real instead of fluff all the time. Just remember, life is hard but God is good and the grass is not always greener on the other side. Hang in there. Enjoy your time off. ❤
ReplyDeleteGosh Linda, I can relate!! The cost of living the simplest life is astronomical. Being in our 80's and living on a fixed income is getting harder and harder, yet it seems our country funds some outlandish things. Well, enough of that. The good thing of it all, we live day by day as the Lord PROVIDES. Enjoy your time off, I remember those wonderful 'off' days from my working years.
ReplyDeleteI totally get where your coming from ... about working, that is. Just the other day we were talking about "back in the day" when stay-at-home wives/mothers were the norm v. today.
ReplyDeleteWere it not for Tom's health, I might try and find something part-time. ("Might" on account ageism in these parts is a Thing. Ugly, but true.)
Hi Linda! I love your "keeping it real" posts. Everything is very expensive now, although I have been noticing that gas prices have moved down a bit. Your job sounds very stressful, but yeah, I am right there with you about why I am working until the end of this school year. It's my job and everything that I get as a result - pension, increased Social Security, savings, etc. that will make my retirement possible. You are going through a hard time, and I hope and pray that things will get better for you in the news year.
ReplyDeleteWe do the best we can with what we have and thank God for His mercies, which are abundant.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing the plight of the over-taxed worker in NY, Linda. Aren't you glad you live in Florida? Happy New Year!
ReplyDeleteI am glad you got out of there!! It will sure be interesting to see where it all goes now. Hope you have a relaxing weekend. At least the temps will be more normal for us this coming week!! Take care, my friend! xo
ReplyDeleteI love that I can rely on you to keep it real Linda. It sounds like getting out of NY was definitely a good move. Apart from Christmas (which is always turkey and all the trimmings) we don't really have any set meals for particular days. Well Boxing day always involves turkey soup - got to use up the leftovers somehow ;)
ReplyDeleteLinda, sometimes work is necessary for different households, but speaking from experience of watching my husband work at a job that was so stressful and was literally killing him physically and mentally, it's not worth it. Find something to do from home. Find another job in a different field. Life is too short to be miserable every day of your life. It really is. You have an education, experience - everything you need to make a different choice. We're only stuck because we don't try anything different. I hope you will find a new job - one you can find joy in and not dread every single day.
ReplyDeleteAnd speaking of dread...NY must be full of total idiots to elect a muslim mayor and have him sworn in on the Quaran instead of the Bible, not to mention all the muslims tearing down the American flags yesterday. I remember the day called 9/11. I guess New Yorkers have short memories. They deserve what they get. If I lived there I would be packing up so fast and they wouldn't get a dime more of my money.
I have family in Connecticut, and they are being taxed out of sight, as we. Taxes, for the poor people who Can't move, will only go Up! A less and less tax pool will be left to pay for all those welfare people who simple don't want to work. There should be a Federal law Against Communism in this country, period!!
ReplyDeletehugs
Donna
Good Saturday Morning Linda. Wow..I did not know that one could be taxed for moving out of a state. That is a lot of money. I get you with the working thing. Sam still works and this is really not a good time for him to be doing so. He is the president of a family owned business (92 years old business) that was started by his grandfather...Sadly, there is no one else to take over which means Sam is doing his best to keep everything running, with the help of his LONG time employees. Sometimes we have to make decisions and do what is best for our families. Wishing you the very BEST in this year ahead. Blessings..
ReplyDeleteI understand how you feel! I work mostly to pay insurance and eat. Fortunately my home is paid for (via divorce). But there are days I wish I did not have to come to this office for the meager wage that I earn. I guess I should be glad that I don't live in NYC! Missouri taxes aren't too bad. I would retire if it weren't for taxes and insurance. Well, I hope your new year is off to a good start. hugs to you my friend!
ReplyDelete