Tuesday, December 30, 2025

Day 30th...Tuesday Meme

 Good morning, joining in on the Tuesday Meme. Day...it is presently 39*...you read that right.


January is named for Janus the two-faced god who looked into the past and future. Some believe he was Noah who may have been worshipped by his progeny. He certainly looked into the pre flood world and the new world. The Anglo Saxons called January Wulfsmoanth meaning Month of the Wolf and the Wolf moon appears in January.

1. January 1, 1892, Ellis Island opened its doors.  Did any of your relations enter the United States through Ellis Island?  No, for some odd reason they came in through the west. If not, do you know your family's history? Yes. My paternal grandparents/family came from Yugoslavia right after the Civil War and my maternal grandparents from Germany and the Netherlands in the early 1900's. There are no reports of either coming in Ellis Island. 

2. January's birth stone is garnet, and the flower is the carnation.  Do you have favorite gemstones or flowers? Aquamarine is my birthstone, and I do wear a lot of that. I love all flowers, especially roses.

3. January 6 is Epiphany. Many take that day as the final day of the Christmas celebration and take down their decor. What about you? Hubby took everything down yesterday while I was at work. It kind of makes me sad...Christmas is done and over with.

before and after


The outside lights remain.

4. There is some scientific evidence that January can set the tone for your entire year. What do you think of this? Do you make resolutions, etc? Do you pick a word of the year or have any traditions like that? No on resolutions, but yes on a word and I can't remember on why or how I started doing that. Stay tuned.

11 comments:

  1. Very cool to know your family history. I don't have decorations to take down as I didn't put up any this year. Kind of a sad lonely year. I hope your last day at work for the year goes well and that you have a very Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't make resolutions and I'm still figuring out my word. Can't wait to see what you have picked for 2026, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tree was beautiful!! It is kind of a let-down when the decorations are put away, but it does feel kinda good to have the house back to "normal". I will get to it this weekend. It is COLD down here in Lakeland, too, but three of us walking buddies did out round this morning, all bundled up. Have a good day!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cold for Florida. It was super cold here yesterday, but is better today.
    I love Christmas decorations so much, but I am kind of ready to take them down. I want to clean house. I started the word of the year while I saw others blogging doing one. Loved your answers! Have a great week.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. My birthday is in January so it's a love-hate month for me! Actually, my grandson Maxwell was born in January, and my hubby's birthday is also in January so I guess it's a love month for me after all! Happy New Year to you and your hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking forward to hearing your Word for the new year. I'm still musing on my own, trying not to over-think it. Time will tell!

    ReplyDelete
  7. can't wait to hear what your 2026 word is!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I went back and finished the questions. Your tree was so beautiful! We celebrate until almost the end of January because of Orthodox Christmas on Jan 7 that is also the Little's birthday. I have still not had enough of the holiday. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am always happy when all the decorations are tucked back into their boxes and stored neatly in the shed! Our home is small and I am OCD so the quicker I can get it packed up the happier I am. I do keep white lights and glitter stars up all year though.

    Grace & Peace,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  10. yeah, it's downright cold tonight! Crazy weather! What? He took it all down already??? Wow! That was quick! It will take me a week to get it all down once I start, but probably won't start until after the 1st. I hope you are feeling a lot better and also that you have a good week (short week!!!) at work! Happy New Year. Praying it will be a wonderful one in every way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I would be sad too, but he did a great job. It takes me days to take it down. I started earlier than normal this year. I also decorate for winter with country snowmen and snowflakes. Since we don’t get snow, I bring it in to me! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting, wishing you a lovely day.

Followers

Labels

Link Party (694) Randomness (599)