Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Another Day, about the books...

It's another day here, day what, 40 something of "house arrest". So, let me talk about the books...the big red bag of library books and historical binders (newspaper clippings and first hand accounts/diaries etc.) on the local suffragist movement here in Western NY-which is what my final paper is about.


I actually saw the library director at the store a couple of weeks ago, after it was announced that the mayor and city council (WITHOUT allowing it to come to a vote by the people) closed the library permanently due to lack of funding (they cut the funding and the endowment that was left by Andrew Carnegie all those years ago is gone). She repeated to me, "Ms. Conley I know the items are safe with you and I trust that you will take care of them and return them IF or WHEN (she emphasized those two words) we reopen, however bleak that is. Please keep them until then, without any fines,  your account has already been marked to forgive the fines." Wow, thank you.


Although the red bag has probably a dozen or so more books, I decided to use these books and stick to a 100 year time frame, no modern stuff-no 21st century thoughts. Just sticking to the facts, no opinions, which part of the problem for the modern "woman" is a lot of LBGTQ stuff. One of my favorite books:

.

Which was banned. Ms. Stanton def. has a way with words. Ms. Stanton determined was the primary cause of the subjugation women. From Ms. Stanton, "Far from being of God, these degrading ideas of woman emanated from the brain of man." That's true, I know of some men who use the Bible to rule over their wives (enough on that).


One binder full of artifacts about the woman I am writing about; Anna Cadogan Etz. She is from Hornell and was a leader in the suffragist movement here. I have been back and forth with the director concerning some things that I have found troubling. One thing that has stuck in "my craw" is in reference to her son who died in 1909, our children's wing is named in memory / dedicated by Anna and her husband Charles in 1911 (David was 19 when he died). Three days after the death, Anna went to a convention in Buffalo and lived a seemingly happy life. We have surmised perhaps the boy committed suicide, which all church records were wiped clean, no burial notices, etc. Anna, her husband and daughter are all buried in Hope Cemetery here in Hornell, no signs of the son anywhere. None the less, I can't get bogged down...how sad for this child. WHATEVER  happened, it must of been horrible.


Yep, pretty much. Have a great day friends!!!

16 comments:

  1. How odd that there's nothing about the son. Sad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, would be troubled by the omission of Anna's son. Like, for all accounts, David never existed. If you find any answers, won't you let us know? I HATE loose ends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a very sad story, why isn't he buried with his family??? Why were all records erased? Sounds like a good mystery to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much to say....first, I love the new blog look. So pretty, and perfect for April and May! Next, I'm sorry that your local library may never be re-opening. Libraries are essential in a community! Finally, this is very interesting information. You are "hanging out with dead people" just like I do. It is so fascinating to learn about the lives of those who have gone before us, and it's also troubling when we discover mysteries (like the afore-mentioned son) that we cannot solve.

    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sad that the libraries are closed. Our grands are homeschooled and our daughter uses the library a lot! And that poor little boy... how sad for his life to just be treated as if he never was. Hurts my heart! 💜

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an honor to have those books entrusted to you. That really sucks that your library closed permanently. Yes, sounds like that young man might have taken his own life. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good that you have all those books to keep you busy. What are your plans after you graduate? The confinement will eventually end. I really want to go to the beach. Our beaches are closed as well as the local mountain resorts that are covered in snow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are obviously well thought of, Linda. It is amazing that you have been entrusted with all those books. You will care for them well. It must be a challenge not to editorialize. At least, I find it difficult to stick to the facts just the facts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The sign of the times when Libraries shutter their doors.....throughout history one of the hallmarks of a declining civilization... but most of us had already figured that one out... sorry to be a debbie downer.... but my state of mind these days.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor David...to not even be a blip in history. :(

    I've never really paid more than basic mind to the history of the women's movement, but I think I mentioned it before, the fictional work "Finding Oz" (which was more about L. Frank Baum's wife, Maud Gage, the daughter of Matilda Gage) sparked my interest. Maud was among the first women to attend Cornell.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Poor child. It's sad that that happens way too often. At least God knows the story, and were his body lays.
    I pray that all Libraries can open up again. It will be a very sad world indeed if they don't.
    Love

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm confused...the children's wing of the library was named for the son who died? That sounds like quite a memorial to me, but you are saying there is no record of his burial, etc.? Or is the children's wing named for Anna? Anyway, something tragic may have happened to him. Would be wonderful if you could discover an old diary of the mother somewhere that mentioned him. Anyway, history is fascinating, and it is easy to get lost in the little "piggy trails" of lives and where they lead. Keep up the good work. Someday there will be a library or something named for you because of your determination! Have a blessed and wonderful week. Keep the faith. Good days are still coming. God is still alive and on the throne. We will not despair.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is very sad - like he never even existed.
    I'm sad about your library too... :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. How sad for your library. I recently started using our library again after many years of buying books on my kindle and would be very sad if it closed! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How interesting and how very sad. Keep us posted if you learn anything else about the boy. Nice that you won't be fined for late library books that you can't return anyway. Good grief!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Libraries are so essential. When I travel (if I ever get to travel again) I sometimes visit libraries. They are hidden gems, especially the Carnegie libraries. Our local Carnegie sat empty for almost 20 years after it closed (it moved into more modern quarters) and was renovated into a culinary arts school for the local community college - just in time for the pandemic.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting, wishing you a lovely day.

Followers

Labels

Link Party (694) Randomness (599)