Just discussing houses and taxes this morning. Just quick looking on the houses, but the tax issue is real/true. I'll start off with the Northeast first. Of course, I am just listing the median of each.
1. Our area; taxes are $17.61 per $1,000 or median $3,755 per year.
2. Maine; taxes are $11-20 (depending on area) per $1,000. Median is $1,936 a year.
3. New Hampshire; property taxes are Median taxes are $4,636.
4. Onward to the south Tennessee; 0.68% or median $933 a year.
5. Onward to Georgia; 0.68% or median $742.
6. Florida; 1.02% per 1,000, Median Property Tax $1,702.
Ok, now I have blown your minds. We are really taking this serious here in the Conley home. I'll be discussing more like taxes and income later. Just wondering... Have you ever thought about things like this?







I have no idea what we pay "per foot." We do pay about $2200 a year - California prop 13 that was passed in the 1970's has helped with that but of course the Democrats want to repeal Prop 13. This year they are after the repeal of commercial real estate from Prop13. That could have an even more devastating effect on business during this pandemic.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I think It went this way for property taxes; 1. NH 2. NY 3. CA. Overall, NY and CA have the highest overall taxes/ cost of living.
DeleteI know that some of the excessive costs in Northern States are because winters are so harsh and it takes a lot of money to keep the roads in apple pie order. But, most of that is unnecessary. Those taxes truly are draconian confiscatory tyranny in action. It takes way too much money to live in those areas. Guess that's yet another reason so many are leaving the Great White North.
ReplyDeleteGood luck on the job and home search. I keep praying God will open the doors for y'all real soon.
Love xx
Well, the nice thing about NH is there is no TAXES, so that is why property taxes are so high. Oh, its relavivty cheap to live here, but we could never own a home here. ANYWAYS--we are weighing everything. We each have "jobs/research" to do ...it will be interesting to weigh the pros and cons. smiles
DeleteI know 30 years ago when we moved here from Virginia our property tax bill was less than half what we paid in VA. Of course, we bought a smaller home too since we didn't bring the boys with us. We are in a manufactured home now and don't have property taxes. We pay a small rent on the lot and buy a tag (like we do for our car) each year. So yes, we considered lots of things when we moved three years ago to this retirement community. We cut of home expenses by more than half. Whew!
ReplyDeleteOH, I was looking at Virginia (well, I went to click on WV and accidently hit VA, LOL)---well, anyways, very expensive. Yes, I knew that about the mobile home, which my husbands refused to live in (he was raised in one and has some hickups about that). ANYWAYS...it seems, after going through the pros and cons of at least 20 states, every state has issues. One thing is certain though, NY, PA or NJ are not hopping for jobs. Maine, NH and on down are.
DeleteReading your comment to Terri and have to agree, the three stooges have made a mess of NY, PA and NJ. People leave in droves because there's no work or because of high taxes. Speaking of work, I had that call this morning. I could have the job if I wanted it, but it only pays $9 per hour. No thanks. I could have another one that pays $13 per hour to start, but I'd essentially be a nursing aide. I'd have to bathe and toilet and such. Nope. Plus, I'd have to use my car to drive to the different sites and if the people needed to go to appointments or shopping. Again, nope. Tim said not to take it that something will come along. I hope so.
ReplyDeleteyeah, I am having the same/similer issues here, Stacy. It doesn't help this area is at 15.7% unemployment, NY state is 15.?%. Its not good. We all feel another shut down is coming, just saying. I know the small business here on Main Street are struggling to stay alive.
DeleteWise lady! Honestly, I just knew I wanted to be near son and his family ... and let Tom worry about the taxes and cost of living.
ReplyDeleteaw. Thanks Myra...smiles...well, we do have family ties here and my late father in-law and his parents and brother are buried here and we are the caretakers. My mother -in-law and one brother in law are here. The other family could careless and don't even acknowledge us.
DeleteIn Florida one can get a Homestead exemption. Meaning you won't end up with a $7000.00 tax bill on a 100K house in PA which forced me to move. No tax on Pensions, no inheritance tax... PA has the highest in the country... no car inspections... Just things to consider in your planning expenses.. GA I think has a homestead exemption for seniors and has perks for seniors. I know you are not considering FL.
ReplyDeleteYeah, same with NY, Bunk. We are considering northern GA and TN. Nope, not FL. I know Maine, NH and NH all have exemptions for seniors and I know we "fit" that description as my husband collects his SS. We have just had enough of Cuomo and the never ending crud he gives us here.
DeleteGolly. Maybe, I'll move to Georgia. 😏
ReplyDeletelol---we are looking at northern GA, sure thing, come on with us. Your daughter can move to TN then, lol.
DeleteI thought California had the highest of everything, houses, taxes and more. We sold our last home because the taxes were really high. We moved to an older part of the city because of lower taxes. Retirement changes things. Thankful for my steady income. I visited Maine in 2008 while on a cruise and I loved what we saw. Your dreams will come true some day.
ReplyDeleteWell, CA and NY are the most expensive...and it doesn't have to be that way, jmo. sigh
DeleteWe just got our tax bill for our house since we filed for Homestead Exemption in January (because we didn't move here until last August, and you can't file unless you were in the house on Jan. 1), so anyway, we paid 1493.00 last year, and it will be just under 800.00 this year because of the homestead exemption. That is for our house on almost 3/4 acre. It is a manufactured home, but they go by sq. ft. and size of property. Our home is about 1780. square feet. And we don't have state income tax here. We do have a state/county sales tax of 7%. (6% state, 1% county, which varies by county.) Our 2300. sq.ft. concrete block home on 1 acre property tax (that we sold last year) was about the same amount of tax. But we live in a rural area, not a city. So property taxes do vary by city/county in the state. I know you don't want to live in Florida, but we feel the taxes are very reasonable here. Praying for you in your search for jobs. The right job and location will come along. Just seek God's will first and most of all, and He will direct your paths.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I know...I also know that NY, NH, Maine all have programs for seniors (we have my mother in-law on quite a few --but with the taxes going up, it really isn't going to help much now, sigh.) We also qualify here because of my husband being on SS...but honestly the overbearing governor is just too much.
DeleteVery interesting! It's not something I've ever checked into because we've always lived in MI and have no plans to leave. We have said the time may come when many people have to move to get away from all of this liberal stuff. I've been thinking about what it was like for our ancestors who had to move away from everything because of what was happening in their countries.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I often think of it too. My family moved from Chicago when we were little kids to Florida. I remember the hardships...sigh. My dad one day came home and told my mother, "We're moving." And we did.
DeleteTaxes were 3800 last year. But salaries here are also a lot higher.
ReplyDeleteyeah, I saw that, Annie. How in the world folks can pay that is beyond me. Wages here are stagnant thanks to the never ending shut down.
Delete