Wednesday, August 26, 2020

It's a Doggy Hodgepodge

 Joining in with the

1. The Hodgepodge lands on National Dog Day this year (August 26th). Do you own a dog? Did you have a dog when you were growing up, or maybe some other kind of pet? Would you say you're more of a dog person or a cat person? Neither is okay too : )

We have  13 Year old German Shepherd and yes, we had various dogs growing up. I'm more of a big dog person than a cat or a small dog.

2. Last time you felt 'dog tired'?

Lately...every single day. More mind weary than spiritual or physical. I am tired...just tired of fighting these quarantine rules/mandates, tired of looking for a job in a 15.7% unemployment era. Yep, 15.7% here. Thanks to the insanity that the king governor will not let go.

3. It's said you can't teach an old dog new tricks. When did you last prove this idiom true or prove it wrong?

Yikes...our dog is always picking up new tricks, lol...let's see... hubby it seems is picking up the cursing (a lot) at the news lately, can that be a old dog new tricks thing? I don't know. Actually, let's just keep it real, we all have been flabbergasted and angry lately and all been yelling at the tv, like it can hear us, ya  know, lol.

4. A favorite book, television show, or movie featuring a dog. Why did you love it?

Old Yeller and the 101 Dalmatians. Do either really need explanations?

5. Last time you had reason to (literally or figuratively) exclaim 'hot diggity dog'?

umm...years?

6.  Insert your own random thought here.


This is the last Hodgepodge in August... wow...where did the month of August go?

20 comments:

  1. As y'all know, we have three dawgs. *grin* I would have many more if the budget, and my energy level, allowed. I don't mind bathing and caring for three, but any more than that is too much work. I do love dogs.
    With those two storms out there in the Gulf, or wherever they are now, the air is heavy with moisture. Makes for frizzy hair. At least the plants are happy. It is starting to feel a bit like Fall. Yum.
    Love & Prayers xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to raise German Shepherds...lets see, very humid here too. So ready for fall.

      Delete
  2. Picturing your whole crew gathered round the TV and shouting at it...LOL We get pretty worked up watching the news (how can you not?) but usually express it to each other not at the TV.

    Pretty sure we'd be signed up for one of your pups if you raised German Shepherds. :)

    Cloudy and humid here and not as hot...only mid 80's today.

    Have a happy day, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Yep on getting worked up on the news...we have spent the last 2 nights watching CSPAN since Fox refuses to air the whole Convention.

      I/we have to get land and a farm to raise pups, smiles.

      Delete
  3. I love love love doggies, but two are enough for me, two big dumb Labs, couch hogs, bed hogs, always looking for a treat...but they're good doorbells, bark like crazy to let me know to hide and pretend I'm not home, ha. They also make the neighbors arrival home their business, as well as squirrels and birds and neighboring cats.
    Your fruitless job search makes me sad! I am rooting for you!
    Della

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. E very single day I sit here for countless hours job searching, not just for NY. I am very sad by the reception from other states thanks to the endless nonsense from our King Cuomo, more on that later.

      HA, Coffee (our German Shep) thinks the whole 'hood is his, LOLOL.

      Delete
  4. I totally forgot Old Yeller and the 101 Dalmatians, I really loved both of those too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Dalmatians, smiles. Have a great day friend.

      Delete
  5. Does your doggy shout at the TV/news too? I can just see it now...You all shouting and the doggy barking or howling at the news. That would be fun to watch. I know I was shouting last week when I actually listened to Biden's speech. I started yelling at him in the middle of it, telling him he was telling lies... I've been watching bits and pieces of the RNC this week and loving it and wishing I could stay up for the whole thing. I catch up on YouTube as I can. Such a huge contrast to last week's melodrama. I wish some democrats would actually tune in and learn something. I feel like they are preaching to the choir. But maybe there will be some who will actually pay attention and start thinking for themselves for a change. We can only hope and pray. I am praying for you to "get out of dodge" soon. It will happen in God's perfect timing, but I know you are tired of hearing that and just want some answers. I understand...been there, done that. But again, keep trusting God to guide you. He's got this covered...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Let me tell you Pamela, he does not like Pelosi or Schumer, he growls when they come on. He tends to get up from his comfortable pillow and walk into the other room when we start yelling at the dummies on tv, lol. He gives us this look like, "You folks for real?" LOLOL--we have been staying up real late to watch the RNC.

      Delete
  6. Joe and I both love German Shepherds so sign us up for one of the first litter! Make sure they come already house trained, please! Gorgeous dogs. We gave up watching the news, period. We both tend to talk to the TV, even when watching a movie or series, so you know what it would sound like if we had the new on. Whew!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Sure thing, I will remember that, LOL. When we first got him and his twin (he was killed unfort.) David had to go to New Orleans for a chaplain/ Natural Disaster thing and when he returned, both puppies were house trained and even trained to ring the bell to go out. Shepherds are super smart. David was like, "How in the world did you and Liam do that?" I dunno, but they are super smart. I wouldn't trade Coffee for anything in the world, he loves his "peeps" and is pretty protective of us and he picks who he likes or doesn't (my mil, mother, brother inlaw etc.). I'll tell you what, he loveeeeeeeees kids, especially if you play ball with him.

      Delete
  7. I remember reading Old Yeller and Black Beauty as a child. We use to have a German Shepherd too, but only for a short while. He needed more space and we re homed him. It was sad to let him go, but I am sure his huge new backyard was much better for him. Maybe your new place will be big enough to get shepherds to raise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't begin to say how much I hate what is happening, you went to school, worked hard and finally got you degree only to be met with COVID19 slamming doors in your face. Stay strong my friend, the right door is going to open for you...and you're going to do great! Hang on, love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tom and I've been talking ugly to the television for years ... but lately I'm tempted to break out the gunpowder. LOL. Never saw 101 Dalmations, but Old Yeller thoroughly traumatized me back in the day. Never again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It does make you feel better to yell at the tv though, doesn't it? My husband starts yelling so much I can't hear what they're saying anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Things will get better. It will be a bumpy ride until then. We all know how to ride with that. Now if I can just stop yelling at the political ads, which are beyond stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We had a German Shepherd when I in my very late teens. Named him Kaiser. He was my dad's boy for sure. No more dogs or cats for me, I can't afford to take care of them, so not fair to them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not ready for those ber months! I hate to see summer end.
    We had a chocolate lab for many years. He was a great dog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Linda, I'm sorry to hear that you're having a hard time finding a job. I know you might be tired of hearing unhelpful tips, but I thought I would provide some things that have helped me with the job search this year:
    Get your resume reviewed by your school career center or a professioal in your industry. Emphasize your hard skills ( Microsoft Word, Excel, programming languages, statistical software, and other software packages) at the top of your resume. Talk up your soft skills ( teaching, teamwork, leadership, etc.) in the previous experiences section. Describe your research projects from college.
    Employers are unfortunately biased against older applicants, so take out work experience from before 2010 if possible.
    Expand your industries. A degreee in history could help you find a job in legal, financial, education and business roles. For example, you could be a process server or a substitute teacher or a data analyst.

    Create a linkedin profile and message recruiters directly for any companies you are interested in working for.

    Reach out to any connections directly and ask if they know anyone hiring.

    Apply to jobs through your school's career center and ask professors and people you have met in college if they know anyone hiring.

    Try to gain some programming and/or Excel skills if possible. The combination of your research experience in history and basic statistical software and programming skills could help more recruiters want to hire you.
    Most of all, pray! Pray for a patient and loving heart, trust in God, and a job! I will be praying the same for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting, wishing you a lovely day.

Followers

Labels

Link Party (694) Randomness (599)