Good morning, the week started off cooler than normal, now, we are back to humid again. I wanted to touch on a very hot topic...being your own advocate. Well, some of you might think it is...I just want to make people really think about things...especially when it comes to your health.
This bears repeating in an email I sent to a fellow blogger and friend, Barbara...To make a very long story short, I had contacted my dr. in NY to have my records sent and I had asked why never a urine test and the reply was that the new protocol doesn't require it and the blood work up doesn't require it. So, I asked my new nurse practitioner here and she said, "I don't care you will do what I tell you." She completely shut it down. So, that is when the whole find a new dr. happened—to which I am still looking. So, that is it in a nutshell...I just have very mixed feelings about all this and until I can get an honest answer, I am just saying no. It also seems odd to me, after looking at my medical records from up north to here, it is odd all of sudden they are pushing this and that medication. As my numbers have gone down...just some odd/weird things going on. To which, I am not getting answers too. So, sometimes, you just have to say STOP and be your own advocate. And to be honest with you, it's all coming to ahead as next week I see her, mind you, I don't have a dr. I have a nurse practitioner. Never seen a dr. except for my arthritis. And what is up for every 4 months instead of 6? I don't like being put in this "you're in that category because of age" thing. All of sudden, certain pills are being pushed etc...more tests, more this...and all I am getting is "because of your age".
I am reminded of something the bossman said yesterday. He had me go with him to meet the new teacher (to get her through security) who taking over the class I have been subbing for. When introduced he goes, "Here is Mrs. Conley. She is my troubled child. Headstrong, brutally honest, but has a heart of gold, that is, until you cross her, so don't cross her and by all means, never ever play mind games with her, she will crush you like a bug. She is also highly competitive, but will let you win, occasionally." That made me smile and burst out laughing almost to tears....and he goes, "What? Was I lying?"🙄---the folks in security, they were about dying too, one said, "Ms. C. note, you just got owned."lolol bahwaaaaa...that poor woman, later she told me she took an instant liking to me. She probably thinks were cracked eggs.
Anyways, in such a dark world...be unique, pray, stand up for yourself, say no, or say yes...whatever it is, just be you. Be strong.
Over and out...have a great day.


Linda...way to go! Stand up and against these pill pusher docs who think a pill is the answer for everything. And I would never go back to someone who treats you like a two year old who doesn't have any sense. That is a person who thinks she has total authority over you. I bet she wears a mask in her car alone. She sounds like one of those. We have a family member who literally just took every pill they ever told her to take and ended up on 22 medications. I had a nurse tell me one time that they are trained to do two things...pills and procedures. Enough said. P.S. glad you made a new friend at work :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Debbie...just sometimes, I get this wild hair...to just say no. Will it come back to haunt me? Probably.
DeleteYes, to always being your own advocate. I do hope you find a new/different medical professional soon, Linda. I am still chuckling over your boss' introduction of you to your new co-worker. I hope this one lasts.
ReplyDeleteWow Linda I'm with you. I don't know if you know my personal story about the ineptness of docs...particularly a neurologist I first saw who was pushing meds without even knowing WHAT was the root cause of my cervicogenic headaches that i had ALL DAY EVERY DAY for 18 months. One doc said allergies. She was my primary and an MD. After months of ENT visits, endoscopies and a sinus scan, she said I THINK they're coming from your neck. I switched docs and actually started interviewing NP's because the NP i had before she retired was Awesome. I still had to do a urine test for my physical last year so not sure why florida is saying you don't need one. It's in the urine where they can see all kinds of things like bacteria, etc. BUT....you can also say no thank you. I had to be my own advocate to finally get a MRI and found a NP who has been awesome. She knows I'm a Christian too and respects me for it even though she doesn't believe. She did tell me she loves that I believe in the power of prayer which honestly has kept me off RX meds. The new neurologist she sent me to had a clue....no RX unless I wanted them which I don't. I take COQ10 daily at 300 mg and that has helped my arthritis in the neck as well as the CGheadaches. I emailed the first neurologist, a man and head off the dept at a local Albany hospital. I told him I was very disappointed that he wanted to push pills without knowing the root cause of the cervical spine/neck/head issues. I also told him YOU work for ME not the other way around. If it wasn't for your patients, you'd be out of a job. My new NP is awesome and even said to me that she works for me. She wants what's best for her patients which is why she opened up her own practice (now allowed in NYS...she no longer needs an MD over her) and she got out of the large HMO that was basically telling her she was spending too much time on one patient. She spends a half hour with each patient especially during our physicals. My youngest now goes to her and my oldest is thinking of switching to her. I asked her what's the difference between my former MD and you as a NP. She said NP's are taught to LISTEN to the patient and treat them holisticially vs MD's a re taught to diagnose thus all the pill pushing. she has been the only doc that has agreed that i can have a mammogram every other year since I'm low risk. She also told me there was no reason for me to have a 2nd colonoscopy when my first one at age 54 was normal. She gave me the kit thing and WOW how much easier that was!! and the results?? ALL NORMAL! for a fraction of the cost to the health insurance co. Sorry this is so long. Stay true to your self....it's worth it to advocate for your self.
ReplyDeleteI am changing primary doctors too. Hopefully, I found a good one. I see him next week. Will keep you posted.
ReplyDeleteGirl, I wish I'd half of your moxie!
ReplyDeleteLove what your boss man had to say to the newbie. I hope you and she will hit it off splendidly.
Glad you are standing up for yourself! I don't know why they are pushing this urine test. In my recent work life, it was never done unless there were symptoms! And the pills have side effects so sometimes people ending up taking another pill to deal with that. I hope you find a new doctor soon.
ReplyDeleteI don't like being cynical, but I do believe that big pharma is putting these doctors/nurses up to pushing pills instead of encouraging good health through diet and exercise. Yes, Linda, stand up for yourself always! Blessings!
ReplyDeleteYou are absolutely right. The way she talked to you as if she owned your body ( urine) I would have said no as well. I can’t remember the last time I had to give urine.
ReplyDeleteWe do have to be our own advocate. I learned that lesson early on after Michael was born. They were so hell-bent in trying to diagnose his type of skeletal dwarfism that they overlooked the little person he was. I finally had to put a stop to it. It didn’t matter. He eventually when asked what type of dwarfism did he have, he’d reply “ not your average Joe syndrome”.
I agree with you...Sad that we do have to be our own advocates and especially when it comes to our health care and doctors. We have had the same family doctor for over 20 years and although he has always been a great doctor, I am so frustrated that Sam is where he is today with his health, simply because our doctor did not order an MRI sooner...even though Sam was telling him about the pain he has been having for at least 5 years. Your boss was really telling it like he sees it..lol. I do believe he has a lot of respect for you. Enjoy this wonderful Day Linda...
ReplyDeleteI love the way your bossman introduced you! That is so cool, and Yep, I can see that! LOL. And regarding pill pushers (a.k.a. "doctors" or NP's who think they are doctors, seems to be the norm these days...what's up with that???) Yes, I know what you mean. The Big Pharma people keep changing things out there...they lower the threshhold for things like cholesterol and BP numbers, so they can push more medicine on you. They tried to do that to me last time, and I said NO MORE. I'm taking more than I want to take already, but you are definitely not going to make me take more just because someone somewhere decided the previous numbers weren't low enough to keep us all hooked on more medicine. That's my take on it, and I'm sure there's some medical people out there who will not appreciate this, but enough is enough! I am trying to eat healthy and get more exercise, so hopefully things will come down naturally without the extra pills. Time will tell. Anyway, I totally understand what you are saying. May God give us wisdom to know also when we DO need extra help, however. We don't want to ignore some things that actually could be danger signs. It's like walking a tight rope. I pray for discernment all the time.
ReplyDeleteTake care my friend. I appreciate your openness and honesty.
Oh, I have the answer as to "Why": Big Pharma. Follow the money trail.
ReplyDeleteThere. I fixed it. You are quite right to say NO.
Hope you can find a real doctor soon that isn't willing to listen to his/her patients.
Love ya.
Hi Linda. I think I would say no to the pills too, unless there is a very good reason. Big pharma has done a lot of damage in our nation - so good for you for being an advocate for yourself and your own interests. Have a good weekend. See you again soon!
ReplyDeleteI stand up for myself too! Everytime I go for something they either want to refer me to someone else, give me another pill, or want to send me for a MRI! I just say, "Nope, not today! My body is telling me one thing and you are saying something else. I'll listen to my body on this one.". I don't get the 4 month thing either. I only have to go once a year unless something comes up. Control freak maybe? Oh...and I refuse to see anyone but the Doctor. I have to pay the same amount whether it's him or a nurse so I'm seeing the doctor. Go ahead and argue. You will lose.
ReplyDeleteStick to your guns, dear! These people are money/power crazy now days and it shows!
Grace and Peace
Pam
We do have to be aware of what is being done/prescribed for us, which is hard when we are not feeling well and therefore as a result may not be thinking clearly on our own. It is disconcerting when we have to tell (or remind) our caregivers of what we've already told them. They sometimes seem to completely ignore all the answers we've already given on their extensive questionnaires. That tends to irritate me.
ReplyDelete