I am pre posting this for Thursday. I am Croatian/Yugoslavian, and this was a staple growing up. There is great debate on whom invented it first; the Slavs or the Serbs. Thankfully my grandmother is no longer on Earth; those were fighting words, wink. This is a recipe that I have memorized, so many happy years of seeing my grandmother and mother make this. Some might not like the smell, but it always brings back memories...and my son will actually eat this.
Ingredients
- 1 large head cabbage (steam and de ribbed)
- 1 lb ground chuck/hamburger
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 to 1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1 large onion
- 1 (32-ounce) jar sauerkraut, drained.
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can tomato soup
- 1/2 tbs parsley
- 1 tsp of cinnamon.
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt and pepper
- 1 tbs paprika
- How to make it
- Mix in bowl with a small amount of water
- 1 lb ground chuck/hamburger
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 to 1/2 cups cooked rice (my grandmother use to use raw rice, I prefer to cook it before hand-its just a matter of 'easiness')
- 1 large onion
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt and pepper
- 1 tsp of cinnamon.
- 1 tbs paprika
- Take the cabbage leaves, flatten them out, put a small (about 2 tbs) mixture of above in each leaf.
- Fold bottom leaf over mixture. Fold sides to the center and roll away from yourself to encase completely.
- Heat over to 350* If you have any leftover cabbage, chop thinly. Spread the cabbage on the bottom of the pan, then add the rolls seam side down. Then add the sauerkraut.
- Mix tomato sauce (add water to thin it) and 1/2 tbs parsley, pour it over top, then add the tomato soup (you can add a little water). Cover the pan with foil, bake for one hour than lower the temp to 325 and bake for another 2 hours.
- Voila. Sarma

Sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteGood heavens! I thought I was at one of the Mennonite Girls Can Cook's blogs. 😁 This is perfect for those who love cooked cabbage. You have quite a memory to remember all those details.
ReplyDeleteWow... sounds like a wild dinner! Anyway... enjoy. :). Lots of snow coming down, looks like we are in for it again.
ReplyDeleteHi Linda:
ReplyDeleteSuch good memories you have with this recipe!
I can't eat cabbage much anymore but I can eat coleslaw once in a while.
Have a good day my friend.
https://gloriasretiredlife.blogspot.com/
This sounds exactly like what Ron used to make! Only he never wrote it down. Thank you, Linda! 💜
ReplyDeletehahaha, its Russian and Polish.. Golubtz its called and its the sauerkraut that makes it! I use lemon juice in it and no cinnamon. Thanks for great recipe, will give it a try!
ReplyDeleteYou wouldn't have a problem with me eating it! That recipe sounds heavenly. It's very similar to many Southern dishes in many ways, actually, don't ya think? And from all the landscapes I've seen of Croatia, I really like that Country. It's beautiful. The people are so friendly too, at least in the Vlog I follow (Itchy Boots). It would be such fun to motorcycle those lovely roads some day.
ReplyDeleteI hope your day was easy.
Love & Prayers xx
Sounds delicious, Linda! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteThose old family recipes are the best, and ones like this bring memories too!
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like stuffed cabbage except for the sauerkraut part. I would not have thought of adding that to this dish, but I bet it is good. Probably a bit "gassy", but good! LOL. Thank you for sharing this with us. It would be fun to try some. I don't know if my family would like it or not, but I would still like to try it. It sounds good.
ReplyDeleteIn my neck of the woods, that is halupki. I don't make it, but I love it.
ReplyDeleteThanks for posting the recipe Linda! This sounds really good and I am going to try it. I will have to leave out the pork since my husband can't eat it. The meat recipe is similar to the meatballs we make for albondigas, meatball veggie soup. I like cooking more in the winter than the summer. But hubby does most of the cooking since we retired. Thanks again!♥
ReplyDeleteSounds good! Have a good weekend and take care of you and yours thru this cold winter.
ReplyDeleteWow. I've never liked cooked cabbage but these look amazing. I may have to try them. Thanks for the recipe!
ReplyDelete