Sunday, February 5, 2023

Dill Dalying Sunday Salon...

Another week gone by and still absent from the blog/FB world. Sorry about that.


TIME: 8:15 AM

SCENE: 55* and foggy. Suppose to be near 75* today.

Drinking: My second cup of Breakfast Blend coffee with Italian Sweet creamer.

What's on tap for the day? Grocery shopping and I would venture to say thrift store shopping.

Pondering:

***hubby wanted to go go go yesterday, sigh.

---yesterday hubby wanted to go over to the Ocala Drive In as they are having yard sales through Feb-Sept. It was quite chilly and brisk on that side of town.

---he also wanted to stop at The Carriage Trade, a high-end consignment furniture store which is on Silver Springs Blvd. Yeah, a little pricey for my blood.

---by that time, it was way past lunchtime, and I might had been getting a little hangry. So, we stopped at Loritos, which is also on Silver Springs Blvd. I grew up on Loritos (might have mentioned that before). Different owner, same taste. Since hubby knew I was tired, he ordered another pie to take home.

---nope, not done. He wanted to actually stop in downtown--which one has to travel though to get home too.

First stop was Brick City Bicycles. Ok, another high-end store. Who can afford such bikes? My husband has two such high end bikes that he got at yard sales.


We walked up the street, crossed the busy Silver Springs Blvd and onto downtown. I can remember way back when I was kid, there was a fountain in the middle, nope, no more.


Ocala has since gone through a major revitalization--aggressive I would say. It is now full of beautiful colored buildings and expensive boutiques. And beautiful brick roads.

--we also stopped at Grandpa Joe's Candy Store


We limited ourselves to a bag of Jelly Belly Popcorn jellybeans and a bag of Cow tails. You want an experience? Go to a Grandpa Joes...just saying. Think Charlie and the Choclate Factory-wow.


further down our walk, you can still the brick pavers.

---then he wanted to stop at Home Depot which is on State RD 200--AND NO the pavers and such have not been done yet. It takes money and the price of things have gone up like 60%. AND we are still awaiting the door. 

--came home and worked on taxes and finally crashed at 11:30 pm.


Ocala is known as the Brick City and the horse capital of the world. In 1846, Ocala was appointed the county seat of newly formed Marion County. By the late 1850s, the town was one of the leading social and business centers in Florida. The Civil War all but destroyed commerce in Ocala and the population dwindled to around 200. After nearly two decades of growth, the town center was virtually destroyed by fire on Thanksgiving Day, 1883. In rebuilding, brick and other fire-resistant materials were used instead of lumber. Oh, Ocala now has nearly 400,000 years around citizens. When I was growing up, it was known as Slow 'Cala. No more...sigh.


I'll try to catch up later on today.

15 comments:

  1. Ocala looks like a sweet town. Would you hand me a cow tail, please? I haven't seen those for years. ☺️

    Sounds as if you shopped until you dropped!

    Have a great Sunday and an excellent week ahead...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate shopping on Saturdays. But since we are retired, we go usually, midweek. I'd weigh a ton with a candy store that close by!lolol
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Linda. Sounds like you had a busy day yesterday. It was fun to learn a little more about Ocala. Looks like a really nice city. I hope you enjoy your Sunday. See you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must have been exhausted at the end of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed learning about Ocala's history, Linda. Boy, your husband has lots of energy, doesn't he? Have a blessed Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Busy busy you are! Enjoy the rest of the day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you had one busy day yesterday.
    Ocala sounds like a great place to visit. I love the idea of all the brick. But that's a lot of people living there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish Tom had your Dave's sense of adventure. I'm ready to go thrifting! Have a blessed week, dear lady.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is good to catch-up with you here, Linda! Glad you checked in! You still don't have your door?!! Good grief! Ocala has gotten big fast. I love going to Silver Springs when the amusement park was still there. The craziness has all happened since the mid-80s I think. Have a blessed week ahead, Linda! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the lovely pictures of downtown Ocala, and the history lesson as well. I enjoyed working in the historic area of Ocala (First Presbyterian Church) for several years. It is also on the historic register. While I was working there we had to do a major restoration of the steeple tower. It truly was a huge job. We even got a grant from the state of Florida because of the historic nature of the restoration...plus many people who weren't even members of the church gave donations towards the very expensive project. They wanted to see that iconic structure stay in old downtown Ocala. I enjoyed my tenure there for the most part, but am thankful and happy to be retired now, (and not making that long drive to Ocala every day from Salt Springs!) I have rarely been back downtown Ocala since I retired in 2015. Looks like they are still making improvements to the square. I am glad they are preserving its history for the future generations. Enjoy what's left of your day off. I am recovering from laryngitis/sinusitis, etc. Staying 'quiet" for a change. LOL. Love ya dear friend. Hope you'll come back to visit again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Commenting on The Carriage Trade: after selling a lot of my furniture via my community FaceBook marketplace, I contacted Carriage Trade. They came with a big truck to haul off my stuff and paid me nicely for it. I dare not go inside their store lest I see some of my stuff and get emotional. I don't need a thing anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounded like you had a busy Saturday, Linda! I would love to Grandpa Joe's Candy shop. Off to see if they have a website.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Linda, I was just thinking about you yesterday! Your life down there is so different than when you lived right above me! Hope all is well, and you are happy and cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Linda - I've been slow in blogging so don't feel bad! I remember Ocala from a long time ago. We also, in Green Cove Springs, have some old brick roads. Not as many as y'all though.The problem with this old town? At one time that as a Naval station here an the town grew a bit. After it left, back to such a sweet little town. NOW? There is a new 'roadway' being built to cross the river and estimated 5,000 new homes in the county. We have one in our backyard when my daughter sold property. There's a new one at the end of our road and several others spread around the hood. It's ghastly to be honest. But to move? Prices are sky high and probably never again be able to live in St Augustine. My granddaughter has a home there but since separating from her husband and remarrying. That's an issue to be taken care of in splitting the home value which I know is going to be a drag in March which they go before the courts. We'll see. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wish my husband liked to shop around as much as yours does! That candy store sounds amazing! XO

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting, wishing you a lovely day.

Followers

Labels

Link Party (694) Randomness (578)