Saturday, May 22, 2021

Saturday 9 and Some Realities Mixed In

 Thank you all for the kind comments from last nights post. I don't have any earth shattering news to report, so how about I do the Saturday 9 meme.


The Way You Look Tonight (1936)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) They lyrics tell us that no matter how low the singer feels, it will raise his spirits to recall the way his lover looks tonight. Share a special moment in your life that brings a smile to your lips, no matter what.

Every single day; husband and son. There is no single moment, because at my age you realize that every "single moment" are special.

2) This song was introduced by Fred Astaire in the 1936 movie, Swing Time. It won the Oscar for Best Song. What's your favorite movie song?

Over the Rainbow sung by Judy Garland in the Wizard of Oz

3) Though today Fred is revered as a Hollywood legend, producers had to be convinced to give him a shot. The initial notes on his screen test were: "Can't act. Slightly bald. Also dances." Tell us about a time when someone underestimated you.

Someone at work was saying this to me the other day. I was the only one there to open up the store, yet again. I was by myself until like 8 or so and I had to force myself to learn the cash register at the Self Check Out Lane. AND now, they can use that to get me to do what they want, sigh. I am so 'stupid' at times...just keeping it real. 'Stupid' because I felt used AND for the record, I am not 'stupid', just using it as a metaphor.
 
4) Fred's legion of fans includes Jackie Chan. The martial arts star says Astaire's movies influenced the way he choreographed the Kung Fu fight sequences in his films. Mr. Chan is one of the most popular film stars in the world. Have you seen any of his movies?

Yeah, Rush Hour
 
5) Fred was always fascinated by new things. In the 1970s, when he was in his late 70s, he took up skateboarding and became so good at it he was awarded life membership in the National Skateboard Society. Have you been skateboarding? If not, is it something you're tempted to try?

When I was much much younger I did skateboard, not anymore. I am keenly aware of the approaching double nickels age. Common sense has kicked in, lol.
 
6) Fred's friends were amused by his passion for daytime soap operas. In the days before video recording, he would call home from the club house at the golf course and ask his maid what had happened that day on his favorite "story," As the World Turns. Is there a show you try not to miss?

I have not seen one new episode of Maine Cabin Masters this season. Why? Because it comes on at 9 pm and since I have to get up at 4 am, I am already in bed.

7) In 1936, the year this song was popular, the US patent office issued a patent for the Zippo lighter. Beginning in WWII and for decades after, Zippo lighters were issued to our soldiers. During the Vietnam War, troops had their lighters engraved with personal mottos. What's something you have had engraved or personalized? What did it say?

Hey the Zippo museum is not that far from here; hubby and son have Zippo lighters with their names on it...I have several bakeware that has my name on it and my parents had this done sometime ago--like 25 yrs ago:


Like I said, I have several pieces with my name on it.

8) Also in 1936, a killer tornado struck Tupelo, MS. Have you ever been in a tornado? How about a hurricane or an earthquake?

Yes to all the above...and the latest tornado was in April 27, 2011 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, it was a EF 5.


It was a horrible day. One that nearly cost us our lives. We were in town at Tuesday Morning and Hobby Lobby and the air felt funny, so hard to explain. Hubby said we had to get home, no sooner than we got home, the tornado hit. We barely made it to the storm shelter. 


We did nearly loose everything. Then, my husband got the call; he was called to duty as a Federal Gvt. chaplain. He hugged and kissed us goodbye and he left to deal with the families--and too which he retired from---that took a toll, just keeping it real. That tornado prompted us to move to the small A Frame on the Lake. Here is a great video by the great James Spann and ABC33/40 out of Birmingham, hitting our town.


AND here it is...the truth that slapped me in the face in conversation about moving...
Here it is 10 years later, and we are still traumatized. I personally can not speak of it. That weather event took us 2 yrs to save and move here. One reason why my husband fought to not move back south. He finally admitted it the other day. He said, "Linda, I can deal with the snow and the politics here, I refuse to deal with tornadoes and hurricanes." He sort of put his foot down...much to my chagrin. And since I love him...it is what it is...I suppose at some point the fears will have to be faced.
 
9) Random question -- We're creating an action figure of YOU. What two accessories should we be sure to include in the box?


Ohhhhhhhh....I always wanted a cape, like Superman. LOLOL and some glitter so I can spread it around, LOLOL.


It sure did with that last statement, LOL. Have a great day all. I will be off to work at 3:30.

17 comments:

  1. I can certainly understand why your hubby doesnt want to move south but there is more to the south than just the states on the coast. But I just want you to be happy wherever you end up. Dont work too hard and have a nice evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Linda...I think a lot has to do with his mom right now...I hope you have a beautiful day friend.

      Delete
  2. Yes, your husband's comment is why I have never been tempted to move south. Living in Oklahoma for two plus years was enough. That green sky would freeze me in my tracks.

    Very interesting post...so many topics as those memes tend to support.

    Hope that today is a good day at work...whatever that would mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even 10 yrs later, Vee...it has left a mark on us. Mentally, emotionally, etc. I do miss living south, and I know though he is right, no matter on how much it irks me (his comment).

      Delete
  3. Good morning, Linda! I am chuckling over your 'stupid' comment/metaphor. It does stink to be competent at times. I hope you have a decent day at work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lived in Oklahoma as a child and after living through tornado events there, I still have some PTSD about weather events. I lived through another tornado when we lived in Omaha, Nebraska. I was in my car with my two little girls and we sheltered under an overpass. It was so frightening. My little girls and I prayed out loud while we watched roofs blowing off and could feel our car being pulled into the storm. It was horrifying. Fortunately, it was not an EF 5 or EF 4 but it scared me and that is a big reason we moved back to the west. The weather in the South and Midwest is more than I personally can deal with. I totally understand how your husband feels. I hope you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. O.M.G., Linda. I watched every minute of that video; and I'm embarrassed to admit, I screamed out loud at the 10:50 mark. Love James Spann, but even more our Josh Johnson -- who's remarkably similar. (Not surprising, reading where Spann was his mentor/inspiration.)
    I'm loving your new header!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your answer to #1.
    No wonder your husband doesn't want to move back south.
    Have a nice day.

    https://gloriasretiredlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tornadoes are awful. We had a green sky the morning of the tornado I mentioned. I was leaving digital literacy class walking down the hall...it was super dark and there was that green hue. I no more got back to my office area and we were called to take cover for a tornado. It was scary because we had all of those kids to protect and keep calm. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those tornados are SCARY! They are far worse than hurricanes. We had a small tornado hit the cemetery next door in the late 90's. That was frightening enough. I can't imagine if it had actually hit us. Yipes! That would give anyone PTSD.
    I just pray y'all are happy and safe wherever God plants ya. And politics come and go like bad bosses or jobs. Who knows, you could end up with a conservative Governor and we could be in the crapper. *lol* Things always change.
    I enjoyed your answers.
    Sending Love & Prayers xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I watched the video you attached. That was surely terrifying. I can see why your hubby would rather face snowstorms and the politics than hurricanes and tornadoes. Trauma does things to us, so of which we can recover and some of which we just can't entirely shake.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so very sorry about the tragedy that took your home...and so very thankful it didn't take your lives too. What a horrific experience that must have been for you. I guess I wouldn't want to move anywhere near there again, and that is also why I won't live in the tornado belt area. Yes, we can get them in Florida too, but nothing like in the tornado alley area of the southern/midwest. Hurricanes where we live are pretty much just a bad thunderstorm with a lot of wind. We've been blessed to be just out of the bad zone for those...just lost power and some trees. We are very thankful. I know God is going to bless you wherever you are...and I can understand your hubby's concern regarding his mother. He is to be commended for his care for her. You have a wonderful hubby and son. You are blessed. I know it's all going to work out for you. God is watching over you. I won't watch the video you posted...I can't handle those kinds of storms to watch either. I won't even watch The Wizard of Oz! LOL. Love to you dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wOW! That must have been very scary! You should consider moving to Michigan. Really! We rarely have tornados, no hurricanes, earthquakes or major floods! No extreme hot or cold rain or snow! OF course, we have a crappy governor but hopefully she'll be gone after next year! And for the record I wouldn't believe for a second that you are stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a scary time in your life and I can see why it left a residual effect. There was a terrible tornado in my hometown the year before I was born. Many people were killed. The librarian in my high school lost her husband and 2 year old son. We are lucky they don't happen often, but still so scary.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Big hugs for you and your menfolk. I can't imagine going through something like that. The video was disturbing! Love & prayers for everything to work out for you, Linda! xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't imagine how awful that must have been. I can see why your husband does not want to go back. I sure hope you get your house in the country!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Linda, sorry it's been a busy week and I am just getting to stop by and say hi. I couldn't imagine what going through a tornado like that. So thankful that you made it into the shelter. Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting, wishing you a lovely day.

Followers

Labels

Link Party (694) Randomness (599)