Friday, November 28, 2025

...and so it begins

Good morning from a very cold Central Florida (39*) where we had to turn the heat on to get the chill out of the house... and so, it begins, the joyous Christmas Season. 


I know must of you saw my FB post. We made it to our destination downtown; all dressed up and looking forward to a nice meal at a fancy restaurant. Unfortunately, they overbooked the reservations. All is good though.


We ended up a local diner, Darryls. The place was hopping, people waiting to be seated, the staff were jovial, and it was a nice meal. I hadn't had collards since leaving Alabama and they were wonderful, and I do believe they had added hot sauce to them, couldn't quite pinpoint the flavor, but it was so good. Then, about 3 my husband asked could I put the turkey in as it had thawed. Sure, it would take a few hours, he didn't care. So, by 7 or so, we were having turkey again. No worries, we were busy watching Downton Abbey season 5 and having a discussion about what is or isn't holiday movies.🙄😁


Which brings me to the beautiful holiday season. Trying not to dwell on the fact that yesterday marked exactly 4 years ago, in 2 weeks, our son would pass onto glory. Yes, my friends, it's sad, but we also know he would not want us to be sad. You see, life has to go on, no matter how hard it is, and my heart is so heavy with this and that. I feel so sad for that young National Guardsman who lost her life, what that family is going through...just breaks my heart. Keeping in prayer.

...and the twinkling lights. There is just something magical about the Christmas season. I pray that brotherhood and love of mankind will somehow overcome the darkness that is upon the Nation.


...and so it begins. May you have a joyous day my friends.

11 comments:

  1. Glad you had a good day with good food! I didn't realize that yesterday was the day. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mari, it will be 4 yrs on Dec. 11, Thanksgiving marked 2 weeks before his passing.

      Delete
  2. I am sorry your original meal plan fell through due to overbooking, but it sounded like the diner meal was just as good. I love the Christmas graphics you featured in this post especially the first one, Linda. I hope you continue to have a relaxing time off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love diners on a holiday. A few years ago we went to a diner on Christmas Day. It was like a party. Another time we were traveling, on TG day and stopped at a Denny's and that was fun too.I do like the people connection at these places.
    Oh that Guardsman's murder was tragic and bothered me all day. I do have a hard time shaking things like that off. I'm glad you enjoyed your holiday. And yes, now it begins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart has been grieving for Sarah and her family, too, Linda. So senseless! Glad your meal turned out to be absolutely fine. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your meal looks soooo good, Linda! I can't even envision the fare at that "other place" looking as yummy.
    That young Guardman (girl, actually) has been heavy on my mind these last 24 hours ... particularly when our Robert will be headed up there on Sunday for duty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The grief never goes away but each day does become more doable with prayer. Thinking about, and praying for, you both this season and always. With me, I keep smiling and praying and eventually my heart follows, if you know what I mean. ((Hugs)) I've already decorated for Christmas! I'll be sure to share the photos on Facebook.
    Love to you both. ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are right, the twinkly lights are a help when we are tempted to dwell on our losses at this time of year. I intertwine a thin string of itty bitty lights through my nativity scene on the coffee table, turning them on in the evening.

    May our Lord's comfort of peace continue to sustain you in the coming days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely post, Linda. Virtual hugs as you remember your son. I know you will see him again one day in God's timing. We also feel so sad about the young member of the National Guard. So very sad. We had been to that very convenience store and subway stop in D.C. and immediately recognized the place where the horrible shooting occurred. You are right - we have to go on and look for the good in life and pray that evil can be overcome with good and that Jesus will come back soon. Relax and enjoy the rest of the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think we ever ate at Darryl's when we lived in Ocala area, but I know it was popular. I'm glad it worked out and that it was good food, and now you have your own turkey leftovers. Today I think you are with your friends and having more turkey I assume. But the best part is being with friends who are like family. My heart goes out to you as you think about what you were doing four years ago at this time, and not knowing what was to come in two weeks. I'm glad you didn't know it at the time and that you were able to celebrate Thanksgiving with your son and enjoy the beginnings of the Christmas/Advent season together. You know he's looking down at you now and cheering you on in all you do. He's helping to prepare that special place for you and Dave when the time comes, but in the meantime he wants you to live life and enjoy it as much as you can. You are a blessing to so many, and an inspiration to those you don't even realize. May God comfort you with sweet memories and happy thoughts. Yes, the senseless killing of that precious soul in DC isso heartbreaking, and another life still hangs in the balance. May God be very close to the broken hearted and give them the peace that passes all understanding, that only God can give. Sending you (((HUGS))) and many prayers and love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your meal at the diner sounds perfect. Sometimes things are just meant to be!! Bet your wouldn't have had collards at the first place! We who have lost loved ones always mark the days before and after... last this or last that. I sure do. But you are right!! Life goes on, and those we lost would not want us giving up or being sad all the time. February will be five years since I lost Joe. Five years! On a brighter note!! I did start putting up Christmas decorations. It will take a few more days. I'm not in a hurry!! Have a good weekend, Linda! (Keep thinking about coming down for a visit!!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting, wishing you a lovely day.

Followers

Labels

Link Party (694) Randomness (599)