Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Tuesday Meme-All about Food!

Joining in with the Tuesday Meme, thank you Annie for keeping up with this.

1.   How often do you find yourself shopping for groceries?

Well...I have to tell you...when we lived down south, we were 18- 28 miles away on a farm from anything remotely shops/stores/grocery stores etc. Now, we are only maybe a mile, if that. So, sometimes 4 times a week...but we try to keep it on Friday's (I have to do my mother in-laws shopping on Fridays-so I try to keep it together).

2. Do you have a favorite night time snack?

I like a bowl of ice-cream or gelato. 


3.  Do you buy in bulk and what kinds of tips do you have to save money on grocery shopping?


Listen, Hornell only has a small Walmart, Aldi and Wegmans. If I want bulk items like paper products we go to the Super Walmart or I order online. Now, for spices, lunchmeat, cheeses, I go to Fitzpatrick's. It is a local "farm stand" It use to be Jenkins, then they sold out to the Fitzpatrick boys and they have made it into an all season store. BTW, all locally grown products, cheese, meat, ice-cream, spices. For the record, I am all for buying American products and will gladly pay more for doing so.


I just went yesterday. I needed potatoes and onions (local), and Celery Flakes and Chocolate Chip pancake mix (local from Auburn, NY-not far from here). Look, I'm just going to keep it real. We're NOT rich (actually were on the bottom rung of being labeled poor), but I am not going to be frugal with local homegrown items. I believe in supporting our local stores and if that means paying more, I do. Also, let me say, I do look for bargains and I do read online ads etc. and go from there. I am just not going to scrimp and save on something.

***For the record, Walmart is what it is. I really like to buy American and I can remember when they only sold American made. I really don't like cheap Chinese stuff. There, I said it. I guess I am a "racist opportunist". Whatever that means.

4. Let's have a picnic in the park.
What foods are we packing and will we cook anything there or is it all prepared ahead of time?


I like chicken salad, so we shall pack that. Maybe some local cold cuts from John Martin Meats (local from PA), Italian Bread and condiments. Fresh cut up fruits, fresh cheese from Cuba, NY . And we can have chips too. I am kinda frugal when we go out sightseeing or travel, I do pack a picnic. The guys always tell me ahead of time what they want etc. And since groceries are way cheaper here in NY than Alabama, I can afford to be a little not so thrifty.

15 comments:

  1. Your post reads like a shopping list fot “the best of Hornell”.

    My shopping trips take me to our local Shoprite, Trader Joe’s and Uncle Giuseppe’s, with occasional visits to Stew Leonard’s. Our Walmart Neighborhood Grocery is good for buying prepackaged items, but for fresh food ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, agree...Neighborhood Grocery is good for buying prepackaged items, but for fresh food... Well, as for best of Hornell, we just don't have the variety-I am sure if we lived closer to the bigger cities like Buffalo etc. it would be different. But since we don't live close (80 miles to Buffalo and/or 50 to Rochester) I will gladly use local.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed reading your post. I get most of our groceries at Kroger and we shop online and then just go pick them up. I make quick runs in from time to time when we just need a couple of things. I get some groceries from Wal-mart and I also enjoy picking up some items from Aldi's from time to time. They seem to have some of the best produce around, plus it's small and I can get in and out in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not too bad having the stores you have for where you live. Would love having an Aldi's... I use to love Trader Joes when I lived near Phila...
    The locals here turned down a walmart if you can believe... thought it would be hard on the local businesses which now have gone and we have zip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your answers. I buy by bulk from Sam's Club.
    Have a great Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you are buying so much local! Chocolate Chip pancakes sound really yummy right now :) I hope you can stop by:

    https://collettaskitchensink.blogspot.com/2020/03/tuesday-4-3320.html

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
  6. I won't buy Chinese junk either and a lot of it is poison anyway.
    I also won't buy most American canned goods as they are poisoned with sodium! American canned tomatoes have 400mg sodium, imported Italian ave 15mg.. because of my heart I opt for the lowest sodium. Same with beans, Rienzi canned beans are very low in sodium while the American and Spanish ones are packed with it. Otherwise I want American or European made products. I am also a racist opportunist. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We shop too often but Publix is 5 minutes from home (by car); Harvey's is 8 minutes from home; and Sam's Club is only 15 minutes away. Too easy to run out for what we need. I should plan better, but never do. Love our Farmer's Market but we don't go often enough.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That a fancy picnic, can I come? lol I try to buy American too, we need to keep America great and that's one way to do it. Although many American company's make their product oversees and ship it back to us. I don't like that. We only have a Kroger close to us, we have to drive a few miles out for Walmart, Aldi or HEB.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Linda. We started shopping at Walmart too. Reluctantly I am not crazy about the place but the other big Kroger chain store we were shopping at raised prices a lot right after Christmas so we shop at Walmart for now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Girl, I would fry up some chicken, make us a bowl of potato salad and bake us some biscuits for our picnic. Maybe bake us some chocolate chip cookies! Grab my big old picnic basket with checkered tablecloth and off we would go! Wish we could have a picnic together Linda and visit. How fun that would be. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Walmart has changed a lot over the years. It used to be good to the employees and buy American. Not so much anymore. They make so much money they could do it all, if they wanted to.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Still scratching my head that groceries in Hornell are less expensive than Alabama! After moving here we were pleasantly surprised how inexpensive they seemed v. Arizona. Oh, and I love your purposely buying American-made products!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed this. I get groceries weekly, and our store is about 6 minutes from our house. If I want cheaper, I got into the city, about 25 minutes from us.
    I like that you buy American!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would count myself fortunate indeed to have a local Wegman’s. We are rather ho him with our Krogers and Food Lion. ...we do have a Fresh Market, but I only purchase specialty items there generally around holidays.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting, wishing you a lovely day.

Followers

Labels

Link Party (694) Randomness (599)