Saturday, January 18, 2025

Hodgepodging on a Saturday...

 Good morning. Apologies for not blogging this week. From meetings to a coworker issue and to the what if's...life has been pretty hectic. See more below after the Hodgepodge.


1.  It's been said January is 'the month of opportunity, inspiration, and change." Which of the three do you need most right now? Elaborate. 

Change. I was going to say inspiration, but it seems my ITA'S (Inmate Teaching Assistants) are on the job per say. I am very happy to have two great ladies who are helping me and gone above and beyond. They also have taken their responsibilities seriously. So, change...big changes are finally happening this week. Still no office, but my Mandatory Literacy Program begins Wednesday. I have 20 students, and the majority are already in education.

2. Do you consider opportunity as something that comes to you or something you create for yourself?

I think personally, a little of both; hard work, persistence and so on. I think as I have become older, wiser, maturer, its ok to step out of the box of conventional thinking. What is the worst that can happen? Be told NO? OK, then keep moving.

3. The British Museum opened on this date (January 15th) back in 1759. Do you like visiting museums? I love museums. Do you have a favorite? The Smithsonian. I got to see Dorothy's slippers, which really are not made of garnet but sequins. Oh, and Miss Piggy and Kermit, the original Star-Spangled Banner, etc.

4. It's National Oatmeal Month (yes, apparently it gets a whole month as opposed to a single day). Do you like oatmeal? I love oatmeal. How often do you eat a bowl of oatmeal? Not often enough. How do you like yours? I like it creamy with fruit and cream, actually, I prefer Cream of Wheat. What about an oatmeal cookie? Love oatmeal and raisins. Is that a sweet treat you enjoy? Every once in a while.

5.What's something useful you learned in high school? Typing and English (Language Arts). How to form sentences, etc. Not that I really use this when blogging, LOL. 

6. Insert your own random thought here.

we all know that I am this mermaid, lol.


***The coworker situation finally came to fruition yesterday. Jealously. Sigh...jealous of me...not getting a straight answer though, but it seems she thinks I am getting everything; big office (hasn't happened yet), starting a new program, taking her teachers etc. I had to remind her I am the one who has been squatting in her office, using boxes as a desk, and squeezed into a tiny little corner for the past 11 weeks or so. And as for the teachers, I was told to pick the best, and I did. My boss and I interviewed a dozen applicants, and I stole one ITA. Knowing full well it would cause an issue...it really is sad. He even explained it to my coworker...all 20 of the students have spoken or visited me and are excited...I even had one older inmate (70 or so) who was bawling her eyes out because someone was going to teach her to read. Anyways, just keeping in prayer. (I also think the coworker is jealous of this aspect as well, I spend the extra time reading/ studying files and that person, getting to know prospective students and what caused them to not be educated--just my opinion, but why wouldn't you do those things?).

***The office situation is still up in the air...however, it looks like I will be getting an upstairs office in Alpha cell block and will be sharing it with the new Health and Wellness Teacher. I do not take issue with sharing an office, as this office is huge. Although, where I will be teaching is on the other side of the compound, but I will have the mornings to prepare etc. She and I will be on the same hours as well. 


Yep, that is an accurate picture. LOL--I have little get up and go...but I must get up and go. We are expecting heavy rains this evening into Monday. I really need to get to the grocery store, see my parents and so on. Luckily, I have Monday off. Then Tuesday, preparing for the classes to begin on Wednesday. I am glad I will no longer have to get up by 3:30 am---my hours will change to 9:30 am to 6 pm. Which means I won't get home until nearly 7...but it's all ok. 

12 comments:

  1. Your hours at work are changing drastically! I get up at 5:00 every day but I think it would be super hard to get up at 3:30! I'm sorry you are dealing with such a hard situation at work. It sounds like you are doing a great job of helping people to change their lives for the better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great to get to sleep for a bit as opposed to the early wake up... Have a great week--

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, I think you will be an inspiration to the 20 enrolled in your class/program. If your boss told you to pick the best, why wouldn't/shouldn't you? Your co-worker sounds a lot of some of the teachers I worked with -- floating along until they could retire or move into administration. Glad your ITAs have good attitudes and work ethics. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy you got some great assistants! And what a blessing you will be to people. Sharing the joy of being able to read! Good for you. Glad things are being taken care of and I hope the jealous person settles down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your students are blessed to have you helping them to get to a better place in their lives -- meaning ,being able to read, comprehend, and hopefully to make better choices (incarcerated or not).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Linda. Emotions/jealousy run amok and here you are surfing the ripples and taking the high road. That 70-y/o inmate brought to tears at the thought of reading practically brings me to tears. You, m-dear, are a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always wanted to visit the Smithsonian! So many awesome things to see there. I also love oatmeal and usually put in walnuts or raisins. My mother insisted that I take a typing class in high school and I've been thankful ever since! I hope you get settled into your office soon and good luck with your class.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hang in there, Linda, and enjoy your Monday off. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so happy for you to be able to do this job, and I know everything else will fall into place eventually as it should. Just keep moving forward with confidence. You've got God on your side, I truly believe! I hope the new hours will work out okay for you. I know that's late getting home, but at least you will have a little time in the morning to "wake up" before you have to hit the road. I hope you have a good week ahead. Glad you have Monday off. One day at a time. God is with you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Linda. I hope your work situation gets straightened out. Seems like it's always something. I completely agree that typing and writing well are two very necessary skills and I am grateful that I learned them in high school. You are doing important work teaching people to read. I can't imagine living 70 years of life without knowing how to read. You are doing important work. I always enjoy your posts. See you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. For me, museums and factories are enjoyable to tour. I like to see how historical items, read about it and also see how items are made. That's fascinating to me.
    No oats for us anymore. I'm not a cow and don't like having IBS, bloating, heart problems or gaining weight. We're almost strictly carnivores now. Our bodies function so much better that way. Like God intended.
    It might actually snow here on Tuesday or so?! 🥶 Right now it's raining to beat the band. What a winter!
    I hope the job situation only gets better and better. Steve tried teaching older folks to read through Christian Men's Job Corps at Church. It's not an easy task but you know that. May that all go well for you too.
    Love & Prayers 💞

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am excited for you, Linda, to be using your education and experience to teach others! Keep us posted about all of it as you start moving forward!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting, wishing you a lovely day.

Followers

Labels

Link Party (694) Randomness (599)