Hi. Welcome to the continuation of Toni Taddeo's Tuesday 4. Just 4 questions to get you thinking, talking and visiting other bloggers.
This week it might be nice to focus on December and its traditions.
1. The 7th is Pearl Harbor Day when a terrible sneak attack by Japan on Pearl Harbor in Hawaii destroyed many ships in the American fleet and convinced Congress to declare war.
President Roosevelt said, "Yesterday, December 7, 1941—a date which will live in infamy—the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by the naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan." Yes, it should be infamous forever. How do you honor the memory of the men who died in this cowardly attack? Do you put out your flag on that day to remember the service men killed?
Our flag is always flying. My husband actually spent time the other day placing the flag out behind our gate coming into the driveway. Nope, haven't taken a photo yet, great idea though, stay tuned.
2. Many people begin baking, buying gifts, decorating for the upcoming holidays of Chanukah and Christmas. Do you bake or buy? What cookies and cakes are your favorite this time of year? Got a recipe to share?
I will prob. bake some cookies today and usually I bake from scratch, but the hubby found some box sugar and snickerdoodles from the store, so I will make those.
3. December 15 is Bill of Rights day. The 18th begins Chanukah the Festival of Lights during which the light was rekindled in the desecrated temple in Jerusalem. The temple was cleansed, and the light reentered it. The 21st is the Winter Solstice or first day of winter. What traditions, days, etc. have meaning for you in December?
Right now, we are sort of "stuck" on memories...next Sunday will be one year since our son passed away and technically his second Christmas not being here. AND ITS OK. We are getting fed up with the lack of empathy from both sides of the family. We are trying to be careful and not get caught up with "blahs".
How about advent does it hold meaning for you?
Of course, being a born-again Christian, this season means a lot to us etc.
4. Christmas music is being played in stores during these December days. Does it play in your home? How excited are you for the upcoming holidays?
Actually, since I was somewhere other than my office since before Thanksgiving and a couple of days after since--someone has pilfered (lololol) the radio and has put it in the vault and is listening to Christmas music. At first, I was peeved, but, now its ok, she has turned it up so I can hear it. Speaking of work, the other 2 people in my office, and I found decorations in one of the storage closets and decorated our office and the vault yesterday, that other person and I talked, and I am ok with the radio---she didn't want to offend me and make me up upset with the "happiness" of the Season etc... Come to find out, she and I are both Christian and we both got to talk about God's word. ----In our home? No, not right now, but on my laptop, yes. I am always excited of the thought of Jesus being born, this year, it's just different.
P.S. we have a white board where we each of us have to sign in... anyway, so every day I have trivia questions (to break up the monotony of the day)--I have noticed our orderly's/inmates who clean our office(s), Majors, Captains and a certain Colonel are joining in...so, this month I am doing the 12 Days of Christmas. So far, they have been doing great and the majority of them are now singing openinly the 12 Days of Christmas, LOLOLOL. Yeah, you have to be a little nutty to work where we work, LOLOL.




Happy Saturday, Linda! How awesome is that about the job interview and being highly recommended! Since I didn't inherit the baking gene, I usually buy Christmas cookies from either Yoder's Market or one of the vendors from the farmers' market.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Robin, it was quite a surprise, smiles. I am getting my Christmas cards around, smiles.
DeleteWow! A possible promotion already? We knew you were the best already, and it's nice to see that others are seeing what we already knew! LOL. God is watching out for you, dear friend. And so is Santa, apparently! LOL. Thinking of you and Dave during this season. I know it's hard, but you are doing very well all things considered. God is helping you day by day. Hope we can see you again soon. Isn't there anything here at Dixie Cottage that you just have to have? LOL. YOu don't need to come buy anything, just come look and visit! Take care dear friend and let God's light shine through you everyday.
ReplyDeleteHi Linda. I am glad you are getting into the Christmas spirit! Good to hear. You are a strong and resilient woman and I know that God has big plans for you. I hope you get the new job if it would be better and that is what you want. If you do get it, I hope it comes with a nice pay raise. Have a good Saturday.
ReplyDeleteLinda, that makes me as happy as can be, that you were highly recommended and did so well in the interview! You are such a hard worker, it's sweet that others can see it too. I haven't baked any cookies yet...the kids here are rather blah about them, and I'll want to eat all of them...and it's much work, I need a kick in the pants I guess. I'm thinking of you as you navigate the days around the anniversary of Liam's passing, and praying for you too.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with your interview success... Its always good when one enjoys one job. Have a wonderful day.
ReplyDeleteOhhh...sounds promising! You are definitely NOT full of apathy. Take care and it helps to really listen to those Christmas Lyrics, especially of the sacred ones. I find tears flowing so I don't play them too often. I should just give myself a day, but there's too much to do for that!
ReplyDeleteCool beans about the possible new job! Hope that's what you want, will be less taxing and more money. Praying for good results!
ReplyDeleteI almost sent a card in memory of our dear boy Liam but didn't want to dredge up memories of that sad event. Hope I did correctly. I never want to make y'all unhappy in any way. Anyway, know that I'm thinking of Liam and y'all too. I miss his posts and thoughts on things. I did send a Christmas card, though (to the PO Box). I love sending and getting cards.
Real excited about how well things are going for y'all.
Sending love & prayers always.
Sparky xx
Exciting stuff, Linda! Of course, I'm itching to know "the REST of the story" but will TRY to be patient. I'm glad that other gal came clean about the radio; sweet, if not misguided, sentiment. Isn't communication key?
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the new job possibility!! Time does fly by. I just shake my head sometimes thinking about the weeks and years zooming by. I miss sharing my life with Joe and I know you and Dave feel the same about Liam. They live in our hearts and memories, yes... Love & hugs!!
ReplyDeleteHooray for you, having your work appreciated. and them helping to push you forward!!!!!!!!
ReplyDelete🎄 🎄 🎄
Of course you are doing great at your job, and making a difference there! I am sure that God has a plan for you - whether it be the new position or not. Whichever, I'm glad they are appreciating you!
ReplyDeleteI have Chex mix in the oven here so it smells good. It's not my thing, but my hubby loves it.
Wow, a new position! That's exciting, Linda. :)
ReplyDeleteAnd I know the anniversary of your son's passing is more than painful for you both. Praying God will see you through this time.
Blessings!
I hope if that is a position that you want, that you will get it. I always listened to Christmas music in my office and others would make fun of me because I'd start it the day after Halloween. But I didn't care and I tried to keep it low so it wouldn't disturb anyone unless they came into my office. I got laughed at, but I don't think it really ever bothered anyone. I hope you have a great weekend.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you work with great people and enjoy your job. Having finally found that, I know it goes a long way toward making life more enjoyable. I am really sorry, though, that your families are not being sympathetic to your feelings this time of year. Christmas can be hard for people dealing with far less than you. I'm glad you're finding ways to be okay. Enjoy your Sunday and have a wonderful week!
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry for your family problems. Unfortunately, I can relate. People do not understand, they just do no. I am so proud of you being highly recommended. Hugs
ReplyDelete