Saturday, December 17, 2022

Another week...

 ...oops...another week and no posts. I even took off yesterday to get things done; $675 later (tag, registration, licenses etc.) we are legal residents of Florida. That was 1/2 my paycheck. So, I will be sending out virtual cards this year and look for New Year cards instead.


How about a meme?


Let's talk about the countdown to Christmas or Chanukah or both!

1. What was the countdown to the holidays like for you as a child?  Special projects at school at home with friend? Was a big deal made of the month in your family or town?  What does your countdown look like now?

I can remember school and home way back then was fun. I was raised here in Florida, parties, activities etc. at school and home. Ocala had the neatest and coolest Christmas Parade down Silver Springs Blvd. We missed it last Saturday and according to You Tube, we missed a great parade. Slow Ocala is def. not slow anymore.

What does your countdown look like now?

It's just us two...so very different now. 

2. As a kid did your family stay home on the holidays or go visiting around 

My mom always had parties...and were not invited to the reindeer games, more on that below.

... what do you do now?

What we always have done; Christmas Eve is pizza, watch tv and Christmas morning/day, its lasagna.

3. What foods did Mom and Grandma make for those days?  What snacks were out?

There always treats and great foods-my late grandma made sure no one went home hungry.

  What is the food situation in your home today?

It's just the two of us now, when our son was alive, I did the same thing as my grandmother--there were always homemade things such as cookies, cakes etc. This year, we cut back...just not feeling up to it.

4.  Did you have a traditional way of spending the day with time to open gifts, visit, special breakfasts, special dinner, guests?

My mom and late grandmother used too... we will prob head over to our friends.

What do you do now?

Well, we stopped and visited my folks yesterday. Honestly, I am just done, I keep saying this but never follow thru. I asked mom what they were doing for Christmas (knowing the answer) and she replied my brothers and their families were coming over and my husband said, "Oh, cool, I would like to meet all the kids, as we have never met them." My mom, "Oh, well, you will have to work that out with them, but for now, it's just them." Ouch did NOT get an invite. NOPE. So that is where we are...I am not feeling very festive towards any family member. It is what it is.


ANYWAYS, hubby and I are going to look at front doors today...price them etc. Have a great day all.

15 comments:

  1. We are having a big uptick in Covid and other assorted nasties... so a quiet one here.... maybe next year we can get back to normal. Time sure flies... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are finally legal in Florida! For some reason, that made me chuckle. Look luck with searching for a new front door! Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry that it's that way for you. Life and families can be so hard sometimes. Take care my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. RE YOUR PARENTS: I just can't even ... I'm SO SORRY this happened to y'all.
    Anyway, now you know why I gave up on my adopted Dad. He was the same way. You know, I never rec'd a card or phone call or a word of encouragement from him? Never. The world is better off when he finally nastied away.
    Just sayin'.
    Sending Love & Hugs,
    Sparky xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Linda. Congratulations on being official Florida residents! I know you like it there better than New York. Getting set up in a new state is always super expensive. What your family is doing feels so wrong. That is so hard for you. Family hurts are the deepest and most long lasting. You are in my prayers, and I know that you and Dave will have a nice Christmas - just the two of you together. Have a good weekend and week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have no idea of the background of your family issues so I will not comment. But do send hugs.

    Glad you have good friends, my Dear.

    Gentle hugs,
    Happy and Peaceful Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Linda, that is so sad about your family! I just can't imagine . . . It must be harder still now that your beloved son is no longer with you. I'll keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do not understand your mother one bit. Something is definitely not right there. I call it a massive guilt complex. Praying for her to wake up and realize what she is missing. It's definitely her loss. (((hugs))) Christmas is going to be different this year since it is on a Sunday and we do have church...so we will put off all the excitement until after we get home. But if I don't get out and do a little bit of shopping, where won't be anything to get too excited about! LOL. I just can't seem to get my act together this year. That bout with the flu set me back a spell and then working at the store takes all my alert energy time. Afternoons are for napping. LOL. But Jesus is the reason for the season...and that is where our focus should be. Praying that God will bless your Christmas with His peace and joy and comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMW Linda ... I'm stunned and saddened at your mother's comment! I know you and Dave will rally like you always do, but still. And remember, good friends are the family you gift yourself!
    LOVE that olde-fashioned mem; I want to jump right in the scene and throw one back!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry things are the way they are with your family but I send you good wishes for a wonderful, peaceful and joyful Christmas with your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so very sorry for your mom's response that hurt you so badly, Linda. Keep us posted on the new front door!! I'm glad you are a "legal" Florida resident now!! Sending love & hugs from this extended family member!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow - families are tough to navigate. I'm sorry your family hurts you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Linda, I am so sorry. That is an ugly comment from your mom.
    I hope you are able to find that front door! Loved your answers! Merry Christmas. Have a nice day!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh gosh, Linda! That's horrible!! I am so sorry! Why would someone be so mean to their family?!?! You are better off without them! I am keeping you in my heart this holiday as I can imagine it's going to be tough. XO

    ReplyDelete
  15. It must be very difficult with the lack of family interest. Christmas to me is family.I am so sorry.. I can understand why you are feeling like just throwing up your hands and forgetting it all, but perhaps it might help this year focus on the true meaning of Christmas and perhaps do something meaningful for the community or someone who is lonely or hurting. Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting, wishing you a lovely day.

Followers

Labels

Link Party (694) Randomness (599)