Saturday, November 7, 2020

Ramblings and Saturday 9

 Good Morning from a crisp western NY; The sun is shining, the world hasn't blown up yet, and the election mess is still here (Let's just keep it real, grin.)--so, word on the street is our governor is going to start shutting down again, no surprise. Cases are rising here in our county  and we have been placed in the yellow. Rumor mill is the schools will close after Thanksgiving. I'm still working at the #1 retailer, I am also working in the evenings with online homework help with the school. All this due to the rumor mill. We all see it/the shutdown coming...that is why I am still working at the #1 retailer. Awaiting my 90 days at the end of Dec. to file unemployment. It is what it is. My schedule is workable/ok. I'm not happy, but again, it is what it is. The bills have to be paid. I was asked after the 2 weeks was nearing if I would consider staying...so there it is...the bills have to get paid. I do have a couple of in class teaching coming up. 


Saturday 9: For All We Know (1971)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This song is about newlyweds looking ahead to a happy life together. What are you looking forward to today?

Ugh...not looking forward to it, but work until 10 pm. 

2) They look forward to getting to know one another better. Tell us about someone who knows you well. Is it the person who has known you the longest?

Yep, my husband. He knows how unhappy I am, but the student loans have to get paid, so Linda has to work.

3) The song lyrics are credited to "Robb Wilson" and "Arthur James," but those aren't their real names. Robb Royer and Jimmy Griffin were founding members of the 70s soft-rock group Bread. Are you familiar with that band? If so, do you have a favorite Bread song? (Find their greatest hits here.)

I really don't know any songs by them...so...I know of the band, but I am too lazy to go search.
 
4) Richard Carpenter discovered this song on his afternoon off when he and sister Karen were on tour. He took a few hours to unwind at  the movies, heard this song in the film Lovers and Other Strangers, and decided it would make a perfect Carpenters record. How do you like to unwind?

Getting online, reading, talking with husband and son.

5) Karen Carpenter drank unsweetened iced tea, every day, all year long. Do you prefer your tea hot or cold? 

Both. And sweeetttt

6) Elvis was a fan of Karen's and, according to the recollection of singer Petula Clark, hit on her when she and Clark visited him backstage in Vegas. Pet recalled Karen was very innocent and said, "I felt responsible for her so I got her out of there." Tell us about a time when you looked out for a friend.

Not a friend, but a coworker who is quite timid by certain management. I told her yesterday there was no need to be so meek, seriously, if you don't stand up for yourself, they will keep walking all over you. The forgotten breaks, forgotten hour lunches, forgotten "oh what time do you get off" and then 'forget' is quite common. HUNT them down, seriously. Get a grip and realize they do not care about the regular hourly employee.

7) President Richard Nixon was a Carpenters fan, too, and invited the duo to perform at the White House at an official dinner for West German Chancellor Willy Brandt. If you could hear anyone perform live in an intimate setting, like a dinner party, who would you choose?

Late Frank Sinatra.

8) Today Richard collects classic automobiles. He has a 1964 Ford Thunderbird, like the one Beach Boys sang about in the song "Fun, Fun, Fun." Can you think of another song that mentions a car?

Little Red Corvette by Prince.

9) Random question: Do you tend to feel more content at the beginning of the day, or at the end?

I don't know...I look forward to coming home at the end of my shift --so I can't really answer it.

18 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your answers today.
    Have a good Saturday my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are interesting q and a's. You must have spent time in the south if you like sweet iced tea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having 'allowed' my superiors to walk all over me at my last job, I'm touched by your advice to your coworker. Fear of reprisal and not being able to find something as lucrative (at my age) kept me right where they wanted me. Ugh. Love your new header!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well... I understand the fear, but I am also at that age where I just don't care, Myra. And most jobs know the fear they give to their employees...ageism is a scary thing right now...yep...doing it.

      Delete
  4. Hi Linda. I loved the Carpenters. It was so sad when Karen passed so young. She had a great voice. Hope you have a good weekend. I hope things work out with the job at the school. Online seems like a possibility. College students here in Utah will need to ave a weekly COVID test to keep attended classes. Our governor doesn't want to shut things down or go online. I am trying to stay off Facebook. Too mean. See you again soon. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, here the colleges are shutting down and going to remote. ALL students must be tested an test negative BEFORE they are allowed to leave, excuse me, you can not keep a student / force a student etc. Whose paying for all these tests? They are expensive. FB, ugh...I do believe I am leaving soon.

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed the Carpenters' music and still remember the moment when I learned of Karen's untimely death. I was in shock, as were most people. They had a clean act.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry you're still unhappy but I'm glad #1 Retailer knows what they've got in you and want to keep you. That makes me smile. When I do my morning and evening prayer walk around the property, y'all hit the list. God will take care of you.
    I'm so over this Election Infection. And I see that FB backed off on putting me in 'jail' again. The Chinese mafia running that now are basement dwellers, for sure. *sigh*
    Love ya friend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the Carpenter's music and had several songs played at my wedding. I remember that after I got my degree I decided to stay at the Post Office because of the job security and I had to pay my student loan off too. I like sweet tea but the sugar is way to high for me. Public schools in our country are still closed. Are you okay with teaching students online? Praying you stay safe at your job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed your answers, Linda, and send you a hug for hanging in there and for mentoring that employee who needs to stand up for herself! Sorry to read that your state will be shut down again. I'm expecting the entire country to be shut down after the demons take over in January.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Frank Sinatra - big yes for me!

    Good advice for your co-worker. Wish you'd been around when I was timid like that. :)

    You're a good egg, Linda. I hope tomorrow you can get some rest.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw, I'm so sorry about the job situation. I know how bad it stinks to work at a job you're not happy in. I hope the situation gets better soon, but with the way things are going...we may all be sitting at home again...well, not you since you are now essential! Is that a plus? LOL Hope it wasn't too bad today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I adored Bread back in that long ago day. Wonderful harmonies; beautiful blends. Never liked Frank Sinatra much, but I 🧡 you! In light of the shutdown and no school past Thanksgiving, it is good that you have that safety net. Praying for better days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I lost my job because I could not stand ignorance. I hate sex talk in the work place, filthy dirty perverted minds. The doctor played his role but you can not be married to a perv and not enjoy it yourself. I lost that job, was bitter for a while and realized I had better things to do although no money was involved. I worked with an older lady who use to say "Remember, every dog has his day and what comes around, goes around." Helen was quite a swell person. She always defended us. She lost her only child when he was three and her hubby soon after. She was kind, there are not many like her today. Take care.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting, wishing you a lovely day.

Followers

Labels

Link Party (694) Randomness (599)